K-77 tweeter 3db down

Q-Man

While comparing a stock Klipschorn with a Klipschorn with a different midrange driver and horn I noticed that the high frequencies were weak

form one speaker. I put in a frequency test signal

CD, and sure enought one speaker was 3 to 4db lower from 6000Hz and up, just where the network crosses over to the tweeter.

I pulled the tweeter and replaced it with a new one from my spare parts collection. I was thinking

that it was time for a diaphragm replacement. The new tweeter was also 3 to 4db down. Now confused as usual, I decided to replace this new tweeter with yet another one. I pulled out the tweeter from the cabinet and this time the female disconnect on the speaker wire broke in half when I pulled it off the tweeter. I then stripped the Monster Cable speeker wire to put on a new disconnect. I found the copper wire to be coated with a sticky green gray substance. The copper was all oxidized. I cleaned the exposed copper and put on a new disconnect. Then I installed the original tweeter again. I now regained most of the loss from the tweeter, so I replaced the other disconnect on the speaker wire. The tweeter was now equal to the other speaker and I had my highs back.

I never realized that you could have such a loss caused by this oxidized wire and connectors. I guess it's time to get rid of all this Monster Cable speaker wire that Klipsch uses. I'll replace it with silver plated copper wire.

I suggest you give your Klipschorns and LaScalas a critical listening to. This deterioration is a slow process and you won't notice the gradual loss over time. If your Monster Cable is turning a grayest green color, I suggest that you replace it.

Q-man

Hows it going?

Way back when, was the time i had the hotwired posts on the BB! It turned into an argument, then faded away, but yes, some of the wire needs to be replaced!

I have the 511bs, on my K-horns, with the K-55-V, it sounds terriffic, i had some freinds over and hooked up the SS amp, and they still sound great! Almost no difference between conrad johnson tubes, and this pyramid SS!

I put some power thru these, everything is fine, i reached concert levels before hitting 3 on the volume!

I flush mounted the K-77 through the front, while taking the K-77 apart, i noticed the coil was a bit blackened, so ill be replacing my diaphrams pretty soon!

Well off to work,

Regards Jim

1.gif

Al,

The tweeters are the same "M" series square magnet. After stripping the existing wire and cleaning up the green oxidized copper and putting new connectors on, I have the correct volume from the tweeter. Both tweeters now match. I just saying this for two reasons. One, I'm suprised the wire can make such a difference on a tweeter. Two, I wanted to let others know that this might be happening to them.

I still need to replace the wire.

At first I also thought that this one tweeter could of had the T-35B diaphragm in it. The T-35B is 3db lower then the T-35A. If you replace diaphragms in the Klipsch K-77, you must use the T-35A.

Q Man, where have you been? Heh.... (Besides listening to music).

Monster Cable is NOTORIOUS for oxidizing like a bat outta hell. They have been guilty of this for a LONG LONG time; indeed, the "Original" type Monster Cable wire from the 80s is so bad, it is painful. Ditto with Esoteric's version of Monster Cable. Monster Cable, to me, is some of the worst wire out there for this and other attributes. Despite the typical "wire is wire" debate, I have found the original Monster Cable to be grainy and not particularly smooth even when still healty copper.

AT least Esoteric was smart enough to make their casing dark so no one could see their wire turn green. Sadly enough, a lot of the early AudioQuest wire also turned green early much to everyone's chagrin with AQ F-14 being a sad culprit (although pretty good sounding while it lasted). Some cable does better than others depending on insulation and sealing process. IF a lot of air got in at that time, then trouble is on the way. If any of your have not cut your older Monster Cable to see, I would advise you to have a drink first...

kh

I've been devoting all my free time to listening to these Altec drivers and horns. This past weekend I spent ten hours a day comparing them to the stock Klipschorn, and some other midrange drivers, horns, and networks. I now even want to compare the Imperial and University bass horn some more. It seems like I take two steps backwards for every step forward. When I finally think that I made up my mind, I'll post the results. I know that I was doing a day by day post after helping Mike install his 511B horns. Then a lot of people went and bought the 511B. I don't want everyone to get excited and think this in an end all solution. If you remember, Mike and I both liked the Cobreflex horn a little better then the 511. After I said that the next thing I knew one or two people went out and bought that horn. I said that I prefer the Altec 288-16K and 805B, but I don't want to start saying that this is the way to go. These are rather expensive drivers and horns. I will say, that I did go buy another pair of them.

The thing is, each horn and driver has it's good and bad points. There is no right answer or solution. Your never going to get everything you want out of any one speaker.

The more I build and tweak over the years the more I respect Paul's Klipschorn. He make one heck of a speaker for the money. That's what's Driving me nuts now. I just make up my mind on the ALtec 288/805 combo and then I'll hear something from the K-55/400 that I like better. Is this tweak of $800.00 to $1,000.00 for a pair of these drivers and horns worth it? For most, I don't think so.

Like I said, when I complete my changes I'll post them. I'll need some time to gather my thoughts.

Q-man

Ive been eyeing the altec horns since i went to Gold sound here in Denver, about 1 year ago, at the time i had the cornwalls, not quite big enough for the horns SO, after i got the Klipschorns, turning them up a bit, i noticed my wife covering her ears, so i had to do something!

Also it took me several weeks to mod the horns, into the Klipschorns, i didnt want to do it!

Then i got to looking at the top front sections, oh how easy this would be!

Yep, they came right off after taking the screws out of the K-400s!

So i thought what the hell, i did the mod!

What i didnt know, and what really closed this mod was when Mike sent me the parts express info, that did it, thank you Mike!

Now i have Klipschorns that both me and the wife fully enjoy, so smooth sounding!

If we move into a bigger place i can switch these back in about 30 min, it was that easy!

But the way they sound, i doubt i would!

Dale Walker is wanting to do a mod with his system,look it up!

Maybe when you and Mike finalize your plans you could give him some ideas!

I gave him my mod info!

Im not changing these, i think the Altec 511bs are just right!

Regards Jim

1.gif