Attention all Bass Freaks:

jstanton8

Hey fellow bass maniacs, has anybody heard of one of these doo-dads (Furman Punch-10 Bass Enhancement System)?

It's a subwoofer crossover (of sorts) & is supposed to add a complete octave of bass lower than is in the recorded material...

See:

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/product1095.html

DUSTIN:

What do you think of the applicability of this for use as a crossover for that unpowered AV-15 sub which Acoustic Visions is in the process of building for me?

That is an interesting device. All bass fanatics should buy it and then tell me what it sounds like 2.gif

The concept seems interesting, but it is not needed IMO, unless you want to add bass (which seems interesting, at least theoreticaly) to earlier CD recordings which lacked bass and sound extremely harsh on most systems.

Other than that, you will not be listening to the original recording, but something like making a remix with more bass. The results I say again might me interesting.

(if some accuracy fan reads this... relax, Im not saying it will be more this less that lol) 11.gif

I own a Tempest based DIY sub and I don't see how such a device is needed for everyday listening. I got plently of bass right to 20Hz (around 110dB's) and good response down to 18Hz. Going an octave lower will yield zero improvement (at least for me) because I have a rumble filter set at 17Hz to protect my Tempest.

Its a gizmo,not much more.Does it add quality NO Does it make sub bass more accurate NOO Does it improve listening pleasure...well yes if the listener is a Zoltrix PMPO speaker fanatic.

WHy would anyone fatten up,change the original signal? I know I will not spend a dime on this gizmo

If you do a Google search on "subharmonic synthesizer" you will find there are several different types available. The dBX 120 seems to be the product of choice.

There was a widget sold back in the, uh, late 70's / early 80's (?) that did the same thing, don't even remember who sold it (Allison?), think it was called the Electronic Subwoofer... the idea was, if you had speakers that didn't go low enought, rather than buy a "real" subwoofer, you'd hook this thing into your system. It divides the lower frequencies in half, producing a "new" fundamental where none existed before. Note that this is not exactly what is meant by "high fidelity..." 10.gif

Keep in mind that if you use this as an equalizer to increase the signal at lower frequencies, you can break stuff real easy. For example, if you boost the signal in the deep bass by, say, 16dB in an effort to make wimpy speakers sound more bassy, you are increasing the power demands by *40 times* over the unequalized signal. If your speakers were pulling 50 watts out of your amp before you added the equalizer, your amp would need to be capable of producing, and your speakers accepting, 2,000 watts in the deep bass or you'll either clip the amp or melt the voice coils.

• 3 weeks later...