Sub-10 / Sub-12 / RPW-10 Repair Blog

ngen33r

Hello, my apologies in advance. I read through a bunch of threads and found that I probably shouldn't try this repair. I have a RPW10 that's blowing fuses. I'm sure this was answered somewhere but I didn't see it hence my apologies. Do you do repairs? IF so please give me an idea of cost and where to send it. I have the board out. Thanks! 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:52 PM, ngen33r said:

SYNERGY SUB-12 PLATE SERIAL 06230184

This amp was blowing fuses. The PDC control board failed and took out the mosfets. I had to clean and rebuild the PDC, replace the fets, replace Q5 and TH3. TH3 is almost always bad when fuses are blowing. After the board was working, a full recap was done on the amp.The active crossover was especially fun due to all the damn glue used.

20200113_220218.jpg

20200113_220202.jpg

Hello. I see your post here and we have the same issue with Martin Logan Abyss sub. Kept blowing fuses. We found the issue. Would like to know what we need to do to fix it? All advice would be great. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 3:18 PM, jshaw3 said:

Can you tell us what you used to replace D17?

Thanks

i used BAS516, however after many attempts (i bought multiples) usually it fails again after installation. usually it will start off good, but then fail and go right back to introducing noise on the one side of the sine wave. and the voltage drops to around 8v through that component.  i cannot find what in the circuit is drawing it down.  again everything that the MOD for this forum has talked about worked for fixing mine up to this point. i install a new D17 diode and it works for a short while, then i start to hear a static like noise, i throw the oscilloscope on it and i see the same issue as before. its really random, one time it worked for weeks before going back to a failed state. i have yet to figure it out

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2022 at 11:39 PM, ngen33r said:

I am still doing repairs, but life has decided to take up most of my time. I hope to be getting back into it more after I do some much needed maintenance.

I have the synergy 10 in sub sn 10S+08470971 , 120V. I need to replace the Amp, can you help me

• 2 weeks later...

Well my woofer is blowing fuses, and after reading through the blogs, I see it's a problem with the S10.

Can anyone offer up some trouble shooting tips. All I have is a muti-meter, but pretty sure that will cover only basics...thanks in advance 

2 hours ago, MrCG3 said:

Does anyone offer repairs on this model / Unit?

Thank you

MrCG3

email  klipsch tech support ...they might be able to guide you 

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en- us/requests/new

klipsch  Subwoofer liquidation 50% off ( only a few left for the 12 inch subs )... 300$ , 

https://www.klipsch.com/subwoofers

IMG_5100.thumb.JPG.c51377d9d7f4d027a56a9c0065f4ee4d.JPG

I'm t'shooting a non-working RPW10 PCB. I do not own a scope; just a DMM.

• I get no sound from the speaker, no hum nor the power-on thump.
  • Power LED lights and the fuse tests OK. Fuse tests OK and does not blow when amp is powered on. 
  • Visually, the PCB is excellent: no smoked traces, lifted pads, blown caps a/o burned resistors.
  • No odor of burnt electronics.
  • I get ~26.3vDC across the voltage regulators.
  • I get ~5.6vDC across the two large resistors (volume at min.).
  • With board unplugged, I see normal cap drain-down: voltage drains to zero volts when measured across the voltage regulators.

Thus the usual culprits all appear to be normal. 

What do I need to test next?

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5098.JPG

Edited by lothian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, cliff moody said:

is it possible to send the unit for repair or possibly buy a new amp/board assembly 

only 1 way to find out   ▶️

klipsch   
 800-554-7724 or email https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

new klipsch subs on liquidation .... Klipsch R-12SW ,  219$   .  

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-12SW-Subwoofer/dp/B00MJ1YR8Y/ref=sr_1_1?c=ts&keywords=Home+Audio+Subwoofers&qid=1691352350&refinements=p_89%3AKlipsch&s=aht&sr=1-1&ts_id=172568

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, lothian said:

IMG_5100.thumb.JPG.c51377d9d7f4d027a56a9c0065f4ee4d.JPG

I'm t'shooting a non-working RPW10 PCB. I do not own a scope; just a DMM.

• I get no sound from the speaker, no hum nor the power-on thump.
  • Power LED lights and the fuse tests OK. Fuse tests OK and does not blow when amp is powered on. 
  • Visually, the PCB is excellent: no smoked traces, lifted pads, blown caps a/o burned resistors.
  • No odor of burnt electronics.
  • I get ~26.3vDC across the voltage regulators.
  • I get ~5.6vDC across the two large resistors (volume at min.).
  • With board unplugged, I see normal cap drain-down: voltage drains to zero volts when measured across the voltage regulators.

Thus the usual culprits all appear to be normal. 

What do I need to test next?

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5098.JPG

I would check the pre-amp board output when feeding a test signal into one of the RCA input jacks.
I had at least 2 boards with defective volume pots.
Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello anyone help please,

I have a sub 12 120v version. Needing to change to 230v as i am moving to Thailand. I have researched and found that these boards can be change from 120v to 230v or vice versa. I have found that the 230v version has 2 1000uf 200v where as the 120v has only one 560uf 200v. The question i have is that i need to know the values of the resistors for the 230v version, image is too blurry to define. see attached. thank you in advance.

image.jpeg

20230826_145744.jpg

20230826_145807.jpg

Does anyone happen to have any schematics for these boards?  I have a bad amp that came out of a Klipsch sub 10 my dad has and was interested in potentially pulling the crossover out of it to use with a bass shaker setup.  I have a small amp that is already well suited for the shaker, but it doesn't have any frequency control.  I plan to wire it into the LFE output on my home theater setup, but need to limit the low pass filter below what the sub needs.  Looking at the amp it seems like this should be pretty easy to do as I think all the processing happens on a separate board with the crossover dial, but I'm not sure what the pinout for the connector to the board is.  Looks to be something like 6 wires, so guessing something like power and ground, signal in, and signal out, but would be nice if I could trace it out on a schematic instead of having to reverse engineer by following circuit traces.

On 8/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, Ernie B said:

Hello anyone help please,

I have a sub 12 120v version. Needing to change to 230v as i am moving to Thailand. I have researched and found that these boards can be change from 120v to 230v or vice versa. I have found that the 230v version has 2 1000uf 200v where as the 120v has only one 560uf 200v. The question i have is that i need to know the values of the resistors for the 230v version, image is too blurry to define. see attached. thank you in advance.

image.jpeg

20230826_145744.jpg

20230826_145807.jpg

Those are not resistors, but "zero ohm links" - a piece of wire (of proper gauge) will do the trick.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I don't know if I can find help here .. and sorry for some "wording" (I'm posting from France).

I've bought a Klipsch SW ~30 month ago (ref: R-100W), and and it doesn't work anymore .. (30 months !!).

The green led lights up, the speaker is ok (I've tested) .. but no amplification ..

After dismantling the card .. you can see (why this white paste ??).

I'm able to change a component but I've no idea of which could be the cause of the problem. I know it's not a "top of the line" SW, but It would hurt me if I couldn't fix it.

Sorry if I'm not in the correct forum.

Many thanks,

Pascal

20231016_090326.jpg

20231016_090346.jpg

20231016_090258.jpg

• 1 month later...