Original RF7 Question

MarkKrochuck

I recently bought some Klipsch RF7’s (first version) and removed the horns to add sound deadening material on them and also removed a bottom woofer just to inspect the cabinet integrity. I noticed that there were pieces of egg crate foam resting almost against the tuning ports for the cabinet and there was also foam at the top of the cabinet folded fairly tight and stuffed up there. My question is if this is the normal placements for the foam pieces or if they have fallen/shifted over time,

do they need to be moved.

I am not super pleased with them and the amount of bass is way less than what I have read about, I found they were only a marginal improvement over the RF5s. They are being driven with  two Bryston 4Bs in bridged mono configuration. There is no way I would run them without a subwoofer. Room is 16’w x 36’l x 7’8”h. Speakers placed approximately 1 foot off the wall.

thanks,

6767A5D1-66B5-451A-A37D-D80DD1DC0FAD.jpeg

The upper foam should be shoved up there but make sure any lower foam isn't blocking the ports, it should be against the side of the cabinet.

Do you have the RF-7s in exactly the same place as you had the RF-5s?  You might need to experiment with the placement since the ports, woofers and cabinets themselves are quite a bit larger than the RF-5s.