Need Suggestion for Amp

Hi All,

I have a pair of RP-280f floor speakers (front), RP-250C (center channel), pair of Klipsch G-12 gallery speakers (rear) and Yamaha Aventage RX-A780 amp (95w). Will this amp be sufficient to power all the speakers? If not, can you throw some suggestions for an appropriate amp!!

thanks

kris

• Like 2

@Kris Angamuthu

I too have an Yamaha avr, an rx-v685. Your rx-a780 is rated @ 95 wpc  @ .06 THD with TWO channels driven full range, in stereo mode. It will NOT drive 5 channels simultaneously @ 95 wpc  @ .06 THD. This is detailed in your unit specs, in the last pages of the owner's manual.

But for dolby digital decoding like watching a bluray movie at sane audio volume levels, it will perform very well. I have yet to be disappointed with my yamaha avr. A separately powered subwoofer helps big time with LFE performance (for blu ray action movies). In this case with a powered sub you would be operating your yamaha in 5.1 mode.

I use an SVS  SB-3000 sub with my rig and it will seriously rock my room watching an action bluray movie, or a rock concert with LF energy present.

I also had the RP-280F before I replaced them with cornwalls. 280s are excellent.

Here are your unit's specs. Notice the avr output power rating is for "two channels driven" https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a780_u/specs.html#product-tabs

• Like 1

Many Thanks Billybob and polizzio. I’m using an active Klipsch R-112sw subwoofer. This Yamaha amp was suggested by a Crutchfield technician saying it’s a sweet spot to be in for mix of speakers, RP-280f (150 watts) , RP-250C (100 watts) and G-12 (50 watts). I agree with you both if all 5 channels are driven then power output would not be 95wpc. Some here in other posts say Rp-280f is very sensitive and may not require more than 35 watts ‘per se’ to produce 105 dB sound hence bought RX-A780 per Crutchfield suggestion. Now thinking if I should exchange this Yamaha for another high power amp....

44 minutes ago, Kris Angamuthu said:

Many Thanks Billybob and polizzio. I’m using an active Klipsch R-112sw subwoofer. This Yamaha amp was suggested by a Crutchfield technician saying it’s a sweet spot to be in for mix of speakers, RP-280f (150 watts) , RP-250C (100 watts) and G-12 (50 watts). I agree with you both if all 5 channels are driven then power output would not be 95wpc. Some here in other posts say Rp-280f is very sensitive and may not require more than 35 watts ‘per se’ to produce 105 dB sound hence bought RX-A780 per Crutchfield suggestion. Now thinking if I should exchange this Yamaha for another high power amp....

The 280s are sensitive. Why don't you play/audition what you have now and see if you perceive any acoustical performance shortcomings?

The powered sub will handle demands lower than 80 hz (or wherever you choose to set its crossover point within the avr settings) freeing up power in the avr itself.

• Like 1