The Klipsch Audio Community
Farris_88

Help identifying Klipschorn

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for more info regarding the follow Klipschorn. Can you tell me a reasonable year built from these pictures?  

Thank you!

KH1.PNG

My guess is that it is not from Klipsch and is home-built perhaps based on EV plans.  There is no label on the bass bin (right?) and no markings on the crossover (right?). The Real McCoy would have both these.

The mid-horn seems to be a Cobraflex by Electrovoice -- to my knowledge Klipsch never used those but rather his own K-5 or K-400.  OTOH EV probably did use them in one of their licensed K-Horn variation IIRC.  

The drive is a University?  Klipsch did  use those early on.

OTOH the crossover looks sort of Klipsch.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

WMcD

This is a Klipschorn Junior, likely mid- to early 50's.  The Cobraflex was used as a cost reduction in anticipation that the buyer would eventually upgrade.  The coil formers (wooden discs) are likely to have dates penciled in.

From now on I keep my mouth shut.

Ziiiiiip!

1 hour ago, JRH said:

This is a Klipschorn Junior, likely mid- to early 50's.  The Cobraflex was used as a cost reduction in anticipation that the buyer would eventually upgrade.  The coil formers (wooden discs) are likely to have dates penciled in.

Interesting, I can't find much intel online about these! I'm guessing this would be a less in-demand model..

7 hours ago, Farris_88 said:

KH1.PNG

If you LOOK CLOSELY at this pic, it SEEMS to show the bottom of a label on the rear of the bass horn....just below the top panel of that bass horn.,  Providing the information or, better yet, a good pic of that label will actually answer your question as to year of production much better than a general time frame for its manufacture date.

Edited by HDBRbuilder

Rarity is high, but performance is compromised.  A collector might want to keep it as is, but it is also possible to update it to near-current performance, albeit at a fairly steep cost.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, JRH said:

this SPEAKER CAN CHECK OUT  as a Klipshorn Junior ,but we need a picture of the tag on the lower left side of the bass bin , this should be indicative of whether this is a true klipsch made speaker or a kit  -  

-as far as the crossover , it looks like a klipsch  Original K-500-5000 crossover but it lacks the tag to confirm it  as well-

-as far as the University Mids driver SAHF - it was used from 1951 to 1961 in khorns -

-as far as the mids horn , it is the EV COBRAFLEX -which was an option on khorns juniors -

now University  was also part of EV  -

-if this speaker is A TRUE  klipsch made speaker - it may be a 1951-1952-1953 or 1954  production  -and for the woofer -it could be an EV 15WK  woofer or a STEPHENS P52LX2   or a STEPHENS  103LX2 -----

-AGAIN WE NEED TO READ THE TAG to confirm whether this is a klipsch made  speaker   -

here is an interesting thread ------that seems to indicate that the EV COBRAFLEX HORN  WAS AN OPTION on  the khorn junior - 

On 1/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, WMcD said:

From now on I keep my mouth shut.

Ziiiiiip!

not so fast , you may be right ,  we need to get a picture of the tag under the  left of the bass bin  to see whether this speaker was made by klipsch -------since  the badges and tags are all missing -

-  and  there are odd ends , the crossover has cut corners whereas the klipsch original k500-5000 crossover  wood is square , the capacitor next to the 3 cans is not the right one -  the crossover tag   is missing ,   all these little details are very important -

once we can see the tag , we will know for sure if this is a kit or a klipsch khorn -

here is a picture of an original k500-5000

image.png.c55e61727d9909cee6b92f96f8087dc6.png

On 1/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, Farris_88 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for more info regarding the follow Klipschorn. Can you tell me a reasonable year built from these pictures?  

Thank you!

KH1.PNG

can you take a picture of the sticker that shows on the left hand side under the top hat ----