Pro-Ject 9 Tonearm Manual

mobile homeless

Yes, I wasted another 45 minutes today by making a Pro-Ject 9 Tonearm Manual culled from .pdf files for their turntables. I will add info if I find more. But this is well-worth the bookmark and copy if you are a Pro-Ject 9 owner with no documentation. Be patient on the page download as the text files are .gif images. I think ole Wally (and Music Hall) owe me one.

See Link : Pro-Ject 9 Tonearm Manual

Click to see Pro-Ject 9 Manual page

I made this because I am the worst procrastinator known to mankind...

kh

Mike, I also have a Dual 721 but I found it too difficult to set it up propertly, so instead I am using a Marantz 6200 (despite the fact that 721 is probably a better TT). How do you like yours?

There are plenty of useful information in Mobile's post and I will give it another try.

Kudret,

I have had mine for 24 years and am pretty familiar with it. As a matter of fact, I hauled it out of storage this morning and hooked it up to phono 2 on the Scott.

It didn't have a cartridge on it (I sold the B&O MMC2R on eBay) so I put a Shure V15 Type III into the headshell (attached all the wires from the cartridge to the headshell) and attached it to the 721 tonearm. I started out by balancing the tonearm (with the counterbalance) so that it floated freely and parallel with the rest arm (make sure you first set the TF and anti-skate to 0). I then set the tracking force and anti-skate to manufacturer's settings (1.25 gram).

The VTA adjustment is very easy on this table. There is a Vertical Tonearm knob and a locking lever just to the right of the tonearm base. Unplug the table and rest the stylus on the run-out grooves of a record. The tonearm should be direcly parallel to the table. If it is not, turn the locking lever all the way counter clockwise. You can then turn the knob to raise or lower the tonearm. As soon as you get it parallel, turn the locking lever clockwise until it comes to a stop. If you have to adjust this, I would start over and rebalance the arm, and reset the TF and anti-skate.

I then threw on the Hi-Fi News Test record and found out something was terribly wrong. There was very little sound coming from the right channel and it was out of phase (this TT hasn't been played in quite a while and God knows how long it's been since that cartridge has been used... sometime prior to 1987). I checked the connections for polarity, and checked the pins on the cartidge and everything seemed fine. I decided to pull the Type III and install a Type IV that also hadn't been used in years, but has a brand new stylus that's never been used. I went thru the same steps as above and this time everything seemed fine when I threw on the test record. Except for one thing... it seems when I sent it in for a problem with the motor years ago, they reversed the left and right channel. I never noticed it until now. At least with the Scott, I can set it to Reverse Stereo.

Moving on, when it got to tracks 6, 7 and 8 (anti-skate), it handled these with no problem (also with no humming and distortion). There was very little distortion on track 9 (handled it much better than the CS-5000) and that tells me my tracking force and anti-skate are very close to being right on (I will double check with the Shure TF gauge). The azimuth test (Side B/Track 5) also proved to better than the CS-5000. When I set it to mono, it is almost (but not quite) dead quiet as both channels are supposed to cancel one another out.

There is a slight hum on the 721 whcih is not there for the CS-5000. The hum doesn't appear until the volume is at 3.5 on the Scott. There is no hum at all coming from the CS-5000. I'm not sure where it's coming from but I hope to track it down.

I decided to play a couple of records after that and must say, they sure sounded good. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two tables. I will experiment a little more but it's nice to know I have two working tables now and both sound very good.

Please let me know what kinds of problems you were having setting it up and maybe I can help you with them...

Mike

----------------

On 11/12/2002 4:35:09 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I would order the CS-5000 manuals first and see if the actual "service manual" is all that it's cracked up to be. It might save you from buying this for the 721 if you already have the owners manual.

kh

----------------

I wish I would have gotten this before I ordered them. Still, for $14.00 (no shipping due to pdf files) it should still be worth it...

Mike

IF you have a good monitor, here is a site with manual and diagrams:

DECCA LONDON MANUAL SITE

I always found this description rather amusing. Comes with a nice shot:

See : DECCA LONDON TONEARM

Here's a cool pic of the arm in box stock

Decca London Tonearm in box

kh

ps- Hey Albright, that mug shot of yours STILL kills me! Heh... You and ole Tbabb are running neck and neck! I think MAXG wins the reward for the most amusing of the headshot perspectives, although special consideration must go to Warren who is a bit optimisitc...

Thanks, Craig. Yeah, I actually read your comments and poor Chris' comments as well. Then, after seeing the trials and tribulations of C&S, I almost felt compelled to do something drastic, hence the manual.

BTW, if you attempt to PRINT the manual, you might have to slightly increase your margins to catch all the text on the right side. Perhaps not, it depends on your settings.

kh

MH, well that is a beautifully compiled document. Thank you for carving out the time to do it. It will certainly be a resource document as I unpack my new MMF7 in the morning.

You really ought to send a link to Wally if you haven't ... He may have mixed feelings about it (i.e., opening "Pandora's Box"), but that's his call. More info is better than less, but I think he prefers the "don't diddle in the field" approach since he has to clean up our messes. I think that's a good start, but I didn't touch my first one other than set it up. I sure hope this one's better.

Got my donut ... and a few new LPs ... Joe Henderson for one. Looking forward to that.

Taking a sick day tomorrow ... Think I got my daughter's lung c r u d ... Good day to nap and set up the TT, spin some vinyl.

Kelly, seriously, thanks again.

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am quite new at this and thats exactly what I needed. I set it up with V15-IV and it sounds pretty good better than the Marantz 6200 (which has a not as good cartridge). One thing I noticed though, the anti skating dial seems to rotate easily with no apparent effect. I just checked tracking and tracking seems to be fine. Tomorrow I will use the test record again and perform all the other tests to make sure everything is right. So far so good- thanks again.

Jeff, no, it's okay ... I can still bring it by tomorrow ... I just want to (1) verify that the TT is good and (2) give some LP's a spin.

Craig should have gotten the components today for the 81 ... so he should be able to turn it around by the end of the month ...

We're out to Tucson for a week at Thanksgiving so it's no biggie :)

Chris,

Heck I'll have you shipped by next monday at the latest. I have a long weekend coming up so I should clear everything out of here and be able to actually enjoy my own equipment for a day or two !! Wally should be sending me my new cartridge any day now also. I did get the parts from Percy Audio but Triode was a no show for the Sprague atoms for your phono section and the 2 for your Output tubes. But I'm sure they will show up tomorrow.

I also recieved my Shure stylus force gage and it shows that the tone arm was off bu the weight on the back by about .3 of a gram !! I havn't played with my DB Protractor yet but it sure looks like a nice setup. !!

Mobile,

What is the deal with Plands 299 ?? Is it coming or isn't it ?

Craig