Using a Microphone with Klipsch RP-8000f

kris42342

hey forum members, i have a pair of klipsch rp-8000f speakers that i want to start using for karaoke nights. 

I am planning to connect a microphone through a mixer and then have the mixer to my amp that runs the speakers. 

from visiting PA shops, their recommendation is to use dedicated pa speakers and not hi-fi speakers like what i am intending to do. 

the main reason they seem to say is because hi-fi doesn't have a compression limiter and you could blow the speakers. 

but i found this you-tube clip of this guy doing this type of setup (also with Klipsch speakers!)  and he doesn't have any issues with his speakers handling a microphone. 

do you think i should be able to pull off this same setup or should i add a mixer with compression or get a separate compression / liimiter box to use with my speakers?

i noticed his mixer (the Yamaha MG06X) doesn't have any compression and he doesn't seem to be blowing his speakers. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:09 AM, kris42342 said:

from visiting PA shops, their recommendation is to use dedicated pa speakers and not hi-fi speakers like what i am intending to do. 

the main reason they seem to say is because hi-fi doesn't have a compression limiter and you could blow the speakers. 

Was the information in the second sentence intended to imply PA speakers have compression limiters?

What you want to do will either work for you or not.  You'll not know until you try it.  Should be fine unless you get a little crazy with the SPL.

I have two setups, one with KLF-30s for vocals and one with RB-5 bookshelfs.  KLF-30 can take anything you throw at them within reason but as long as you are not cranking to ear splitting levels and don't have the people that think they have to scream / drop the mic / pound on the mic (like testing), the average living room, you should be fine with the 8000F.  

I you have a very large room or are doing it in a commercial setting, definitely go with limiters and/or more pro type equipment. Of course YMMV cause crap happens, particularly if you are drinking....

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, kris42342 said:

hey forum members, i have a pair of klipsch rp-8000f speakers that i want to start using for karaoke nights. 

I am planning to connect a microphone through a mixer and then have the mixer to my amp that runs the speakers. 

but i found this you-tube clip of this guy doing this type of setup (also with Klipsch speakers!)  and he doesn't have any issues with his speakers handling a microphone. 

do you think i should be able to pull off this same setup or should i add a mixer with compression or get a separate compression / liimiter box to use with my speakers?

i noticed his mixer (the Yamaha MG06X) doesn't have any compression and he doesn't seem to be blowing his speakers. 

@ kris42342 Were you able to connect the yamaha mixer MG06x to you speakers? Im trying to do that with my r-15 PM speakers