Eico Tube Testers

fini

Anyone here use them? Briefly, what are the differences, and advantages, of different models? There seem to be quite a few on eBay (especially models 666 and 667), and I've run into a few, locally. Also, what can go wrong with them, and how easily are they recalibrated? (Hmm...maybe I need a tube tester tester first...) Are there other "bargain" tube testers I should keep my eyes out for? Thanks!

fini

Several forum members use the EICO testers. I think Craig might have one as well as a few others. Someone just posted about his but I cant remember who it was for the life of me.

I think you should shoot for a good mutual conductance tester. In addition, if you are going to have amps that employ the 4-pin triode (ie 300B, 2A3, 45 etc), try to find a tester that includes this socket, sometimes not available.

One of the main problems with buying old, used testers is that they are rarely calibrated, and if not, it is pretty much a coin toss as to how accurate it is. I have heard the 666 EICO is robust tester and ok. Remember, also, that most of the vintage testers use TUBES themselves!

I personally have a Hickok 800K which is an upgraded version of the Hickok 600. I have the full manual and calibration directions as well. It is very nice to have a working tester; before I had one, I was going berserk wondering what my tubes were doing and if I was getting ripped off with tube purchases!

Also, make sure whatever you buy has a full roll chart (or page) of the tube settings and readings for your individual machine. If opting the Hickok route, there are sources for this if your tester does not include it.

kh

Thanks for the advice, Mobile. It does seem worthwhile to hold out for a tester of reliable build quality. How did you settle on the 800"K" (vs. the 800A or 800)? Calibration is straightforward?

fini

fini,

Mobile is correct I own a 667 EICO and it sits in the corner unused !! I use a Hickok and wouldn't suggest anything else. The EICO is a descent tester but not Mutual conductance which is very important for tube testing. Although the 666 or 667 will indeed tell you if a tube is good or bad and surfice for normal tube testing here and there. But I test tons of tubes !!

Mine 667 has been Calibrated by a Tech that does nothing but tube tester restorations and is in almost perfect condition. I'd sell it if the price was right. I paid $150 shipped for it which sounds high but if you seen it you would understand its like someone put it in a time capsule !! Then I paid $50 to have it checked over and Calibrated. My Hickok 536 is also in almost new condition and completely rebuilt and I paid $450 for it. The units on Ebay that go for next to nothing will require some major repair and there are only a few Techs that work on these anywhere. The calibration is important. What good is a tester if it lies to you ??

A tester to watch for is the military type TV-7 series (and the more deluxe TV-10). They show up on ePay as well as elsewhere, sometimes very reasonable and sometimes pricey. Most were made by Hickok, but other manufacturers also made them to

milspec. These are all well made. There are several techs that service and calibrate them, as well as the usual excellent military manuals are available.

I have a TV-7 made by Hickok that looks like it came from a time warp. I found it through a 'tester wanted' post I put on another BB.

Paid $75. I had a TV-10 years ago and gave it away...

With patience you can find a good tester.

Maybe a post on Audio Asylum 'Tube Forum'

would be productive.

• 2 months later...

Well, I went a little crazy at an estate sale yesterday. I ended up with three tube testers: A Hickok Model 600A, a Sencore Model TC-142, and a military (Navy) Model OZ-1, which apparently is the same as a Hickok 550X. They were a relative bargain (I guess), definitely NOT in mint condition (the cases on the 2 Hickoks are pretty worn). I'll try testing a few tubes today, and see if I can get them to work.

I also picked up one Altec 405A (NOS/NIB, only $2), and a couple of soldering irons in the holders (stations?). I passed on the MOUNTAIN (over 1,000) of tubes, most still in boxes, as virtually all were older styles/numbers, the kinds of lots I see go cheap (or don't sell) on Ebay. 3 or 4 repairman's cases, too. BTW, they wanted $500 for the lot (and have an offer for $350). I got into a conversation with one of the guys eyeing the load. Turns out he's got a pair of '50's LaScalas, and a SET amp. I didn't ask, but maybe he's a member here!

One other mystery item was a tube "RF Generator." I didn't write down any info on it. Oh, passed on an Altec mono preamp for $30, too.

fini

Fini,

Thanks for the link to the Tube Wizard. I've been collecting NOS tubes to install in some gear I've picked up and have been trying to find someone or someplace to get the tubes tested at. I live in the Los Angeles area and so far have only come up with a retail electronics store (Marvac) that has an Eico 660 available for self service. (hmmm...self service tube testing...sounds kinky) I sent the Wizard an email asking for help and advice. Thanks again.

Kelly,

Glad you're back. Can you tell me if an Eico 660 tube tester will work on tubes for a Fisher X-101D, Scott 299 (a), EAR 834P (12AX7's) and a Cary 300SEI? Any tips/hints on testing procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris.

I'm new at this. Hopefully others will chime-in. As posted above, Craig has an Eico. He's a real helpful chap! BTW, I probably will sell one of the testers I bought. I certainly don't need 3!!

fini

Fini,

I'm sending the Scott 299 to Craig shortly for the once over. We've talked on the phone several times. He sure is a great guy to talk with. I'd like to test the tubes for the other gear just for grins. Maybe the Tube Wizard will reply to my email with some helpful advice.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Chris,

The 660 is probably a 666 but who knows. It will test the tubes your needing tested. But if you like your more than welcome to send them with your amp and I'll test them while testing the ones in your amp. Of coarse no charge ! Just make sure you pack them well for shipment.

Craig