KG5.5 vs. RF-7, which do you like

Yesfan70

Hello everyone.

I currently have a pair of KG5.5 in my system for the mains, and a KV-2 center speaker. I had posted a similiar question before, but want to hear more opinions. I'm shooting for a multi-channel music based system, but will also have an extra pair in the back for EX/ES duties. So which would you like for a better upgrade choice:

1) Stay with the KG5.5s and get another pair, and find a matching center, KLF-C7 maybe. Good bookshelf match for the back surround channels?

2) a pair of KLF-30s (or the 20s) for the fronts, KLF-C7 for the center, and the KG5.5 I own now moved to the rears. Again, what good book shelf match for the back surround channel duty.

3) the Reference Series package with the RF-7 for fronts, RC-7 for center, and 4 RB-5II bookshelfs in place of the RS-7 dipoles. Of course the extra pair would be for EX/ES duties as the back surrounds.

RF-7s would be great all around, but that will break my wallet. I have thought about the RF-3II floorstanders, but I don't think they are available in the medium cherry or blonde maple finishes that I like.

Any thoughts. Thanks a lot for any replies, and to those that have helped me before.

Yesfan,

I suspect you would like the Reference line a lot. The sixty four dollar question: Is it woth the extra money? Only you can answer that.

Information item: The RS-7s are not di-pole speakers. Di-poles are wired out of phase. The RS-7s are not out of phase. They are wide dispersion speakers.

I moved from CF-2s and a KV-3 to the Reference 7 series. I am quite happy, but it was a very pricey move.

You might like to look for a larger center channel for your current system. Just be sure that it is timbre matched. Bigger tends to be better in center channels. This is due to the fact that the vast majority of the sound in home theater comes from the center channel. It is by far the most important speaker for home theater and TV IMO.

Bill

I went to my local Tweeter store and gave the RF-7s a listen. They even have a pair of KLF-10s which look EXACTLY like my KG5.5s. I was quite suprised with the difference in sound between the KLF-10s and the RF-7s. The KLF wasn't a bad sounding speaker at all, but IMO, The RF-7s pretty much put it to shame, at least to my ears. The RF-7s are pricy, but I know I would keep them for a long time which makes me believe it would be a better investment over the long run as compared to buying a newer receiver (I've owned my KGs for almost 9 years now).

I even listened to some of the bookshelves (RB-3) they had and liked them better than the KLF-10s. Paired with the RSW-10, the RB-3s sounded even better.

I've been thinking if it would be wise to just go with the surrounds (RB-5II) and center(RC-7) for now, then as time permits, add the RF-7s later. The Reference Series, at least the RF-7s, are about a year or two old and I'm hoping Klipsch will continue to still make these speakers available for a while.

For the record, I was wrong about calling the RS-7s dipoles. They are not wired out of phase. Sorry for the mistake. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks again for the help!

Yesfan,

I agree that the Reference series are pricey.

However, there are a lot of deals available if you look. Try pricing the whols package to get a better discount. Many dealers are offering 12 to 18 months with no interest. (The down side is that such deals can become habit forming.)

The accountant in me suspects that there is more margin in the 7 series than PC speakers for example. Hence there may be more room to deal and still make a good profit for the dealer.

It never hurts to ask.

Bill

PS: Dealers may be very hungry after Christmas this year. The economy is very slow. B

Mr. McGoo,

I was considering that myself. To look around the first of the year for a better deal. I was suprised to find that Tweeter has a pair of KLF-10. They look identical to my KG5.5, but I felt they didn't have the clarity/performance to them as my KGs. My KGs were a lot closer to the RFs sound than to the KLFs. That really suprised me.

I was thinking of getting the center and surrounds first, then maybe look at getting the RF-7 later on. The only thing I worry about is if I wait too late and the RF-7s become discontinued, much like the KLF-30. I'm gambling that since this speaker isn't two years old yet, that I should have nothing to worry about.

Of course, if I can get a deal on everything, I'll go for that first. I'm not one to pass up a good deal! Thanks again, and others, for your help.

Your original post stated multichannel music system. Why are you interested in WDST surrounds?

If you intend to use this system for HT also, be aware that you will have to set the speakers 'large' in your receivers bass management to take advantage of the big speakers low end capabilities and, if using a sub, will suffer from overlap of the lower frequencies unless your receiver has and adjustable crossover.

If for music only, I would buy a C-7 and another pair of KG5.5's, or maybe even a pair of KG2.5's if you have space/cash constraints.

Good luck.

Keith

Yesfan-

In your case I think the question would be....can you afford TWO upgrades? ...First to your cheaper alternative, then to the R7 Series Hee hee. ... Believe me when I say that I am not the only one here that has taken the EVER DREADED AND FINANCIALLY DRAINING path of rapid fire upgrades.

BTW - nice to meet you1.gif

WDST surrounds? Keith, are you refering to the RS-7s? If so, no, I don't plan on getting them. What I would like is the RB-5IIs for surround duty. I can't afford another pair of RF-7s for surrounds to match the fronts (though I would like to be able to). Even the lesser priced RF-5 ($1500/pr) seems slightly out of my league. I figure for that price I could get two pairs of RB-5II for surround speakers. That way I would have matching (sonically speaking) surrounds for DD-EX and DTS-ES, plus still have a better match for the fronts for 5.1 music. I figured direct radiators will be better for music as compared to the RS-7s.

I run my current setup as large. All the low frequencies below 65Hz run to my sub, and the KGs get everything above. I have played around with different setting and this seems to be the setting I like the best.

Cluless. I know EXACTLY what you mean. What's worse is buying something, then about a month later you find out a newer better model came out that you wished you would have waited for (i.e: computers). Thanks again for the replies.