Is my Denon AVR-X4400 good enough to drive RF-7 iii

Hagai

I am thinking about replacing my speakers with Klipsch speakers.  I use it in for both music (classical, jazz, and rock) and home theater at "sane" volume levels (at most a volume setting of 60 on my receiver).

I have a Denon AVR-X4400 receiver which is rated at 125 watts/channel at 8 ohms.  It supports bi-amping.

My sub is an REL T3, which I plan to keep.

The 5.1 system I am thinking of is: RF-7iii for the front, RF-64iii for the center, and RP-800M for the rear.

Is my Denon AVR powerful enough not only to drive the speakers well, but well enough that additional power would not help much (i.e., does keeping this good receiver make sense or does it make sense to get a different AVR or different speakers)?  Would bi-amping help much in this case?

Bi-amping won't provide the results you're looking for, although if your current receiver supports it and you have extra speaker laying around you might as well.

You can always add a decent the channel amp later if you find your receiver lacking, which I doubt you will. 

@Hagai,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice speaker choice but your sub will not be enough to enhance the HT experience.  Your RF-7III/RC-64III combo are just too much for such a small sub to keep up and pressurize the room for high impact action movies.  Probably just fine for most music but on the lean side up against the big Klispch. 

As far as your upper mid level Denon AVR, you might be okay if your room is on the smaller side and you listen at as you said "sane" volume levels.  With those speakers, I(me) would not hesitate to add an outboard amp to the mix, minimum a 2 channel amp to drive your RF-7IIIs.  As @wuzzzer mentioned, try it out with just the Denon and then go from there.  The jury is still out on the AVR biamping thing.  My mistake, consensus says no real benefits to it.

I do know this, when I heard a pair of RF-7IIIs at @Youthman's home driven by a thumping 200w/ch Acurus A200, I(we) were more than super impressed.  Those babies sure opened up with the extra horsepower.

Bill

1. My living room size is about 12' x 18'

2. The only times I play anything loud is for music (never movies, TV, etc.), and almost always in a 2.1 setup in that case - I find that a sub helps even in a 2.1 usage.

3. So, bi-amping will not double my 125 watt/channel to 250 watt/channel?  (only reason I would really have to bi-amp is for more power as far as this discussion thread is concerned)

4. If my T3 is not sufficient, any suggestions of what Klipsch or other sub to use?

I am trying to avoid getting an extra amp.  I just love the sound from my Denon, and it is more than powerful enough to drive my current speakers well.

Hope this additional information helps.

Thank you all - Hagai

1 hour ago, Hagai said:

I am trying to avoid getting an extra amp.  I just love the sound from my Denon, and it is more than powerful enough to drive my current speakers well.

your amp has 125 watts per channel  , which is 1/2 the rating of  the KLIPSCH RF- 7iii ---250w-  I use Crown Amps and these can be bridged , but I am not sure if this amp can be bridged

-http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/de_avrx4400h_spec_e3_en_v0.pdf

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/RF-7-III_Spec-Sheet-v02.pdf