Klipsch Chorus II's Updates

Jperes

That is a beauty- I am about 5-7 months from that though unfortunately...the upgrades emptied my hi fi fund for the being. Figured the speakers were the oldest components in my system but my favorite addition!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RandyH said:

- this thread discusses aftermarket parts, however  the H4-CW4 only use Klipsch original Factory parts ,and there is a sound difference -

I would hope not. I believe the reviews of Crites work indicate performance congruent with Klipsch factory products...am I correct? You all have been in this world far longer than I!

Ok I did it, installed today in one of my two...(myself! Very proud only took me 90 minutes)- definitely Brighter, symbols and vocals are clearer- but almost harsher in your face...I kind of find myself preferring the original softer sound right now even if it was not as vivid- Playing Sgt Pepper mono.

20 minutes in of play time...

Any advice? Will they settle in with break in? I am going to play the full album on each side to compare.

I am slightly ambivalent. Vocals are clearer but I am not sure I enjoy listening as much...

Edited by Jperes

15 hours ago, Jperes said:

Ok I did it, installed today in one of my two...(myself! Very proud only took me 90 minutes)- definitely Brighter, symbols and vocals are clearer- but almost harsher in your face...I kind of find myself preferring the original softer sound right now even if it was not as vivid- Playing Sgt Pepper mono.

Any advice? Will they settle in with break in? I am going to play the full album on each side to compare.

I am slightly ambivalent. Vocals are clearer but I am not sure I enjoy listening as much...

What did you install, crossovers or tweeters?  

15 hours ago, Jperes said:

It's all about your ROOM and your HEARING, along with the original recording's high frequency content. Different people, different sensitivities. FIY, I had a pair of Chorus II's in my Commercial Photography Studio in an old Church. I used a $25 Sonic Impact Chip amplifier, which a Klipsch Engineer tested at a clean 6 Watts per channel. Some of my neighbors in the building complained it was too loud at times. Not kidding. This is back about 15 years ago, so less wear and tear on the original factory parts. They sounded just terrific to me when I moved them into my office, which was closer to your room dimensions. They are fine speakers which are a bit fussy about placement.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:11 PM, geoff. said:

The simplest and most cost effective tweak I have found for any speaker with the K-79/76/75 (etc.) tweeter is titanium diaphragms. It’s first on my list.

You may be all set with just that, it’s as far as I ever got!

Haven’t seen a whole lot of crossover mods for the Chorus 2 over the years, actually can’t think of any. Which is saying something about the original.

100 agree did one just tweeters and one with crossovers ... tweeters was the way to go !!

As old as they are, my stock Chorus II's sound very good to me. Haven't done any changes.

I tried Crites' Titanium tweeters in a couple different KG models, and noticed a brighter treble which isn't needed for my ears.

Play around with the placement of your Chorus II's. If your room has mostly hard surfaces all around that can contribute to a harsh sound.

SO my final post on this issue)!  I found the new Ti diaphragms gave sound the clarity I wanted. The new cross overs and TI tweeters were just too bright like the difference between a wispy cotton color and snow white.... I put back the original cross over and now- I got what I was looking for. Its warm but nower clearer highs and better percussion.

Thanks for every ones input! I am going to save the crites crossovers in case of disaster, or a component failure.(May they go unused for many years to come)

all the best

Jon

Edited by Jperes
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Put in both (Crites) and am in love- needed Carpet and sound tiles and long room placement. BLOWN AWAY!

I guarantee the Crites diaphragms are the same as the Klipsch - all parts are probably sourced from the same distributor anyways- show me evidence to the contrary?

Anyways - long term plan- save up for Corn IV, LaScala or K horn for my 40th birthday present (8 years away). I want to try to save 500.00-1k a year...

ALso bought the AS 1200.  PERFECT COMBO for now! Thanks for everyone's help!

• Like 3