Rating tube brands

fini

Generally speaking, what are peoples' opinions here on the relative quality of different tube brands? Would you lump all USA brands together behind German and UK brands? Is it different for each type of tube?

I know this may boil down to individual tubes, in particular circuits, but I am asking for generalizations. I'd imagine most here would choose a Telefunken over a Raytheon, but what about RCA vs. Sylvania vs. Philips vs. Westinghouse?

fini

P.S. Mobile, I WILL get that book!

Also remember that it really DOES come down to certain tubes by and large. You cant make too much of a sweeping generalization as some respected manutacturers might have a tube at the top while another tube might more pedestrian. The more you learn about the different tubes and the varieties, the more you realize that buying by brand is not the best option. Also, some tubes that were EXCELLENT in certain runs or years, turned to hell in others. AGAin, generalizations get you into trouble here as well. Try to learn to track the tubes that you use and follow what ones get the best comments across the board keep an eye for application. Oh, and there is the all important listening on your own. You will start to form your own opinions that might differ from the expected norm.

kh

ps- Fini, the book does have some good info..definitely worth the trouble. It does not focus on tube audio as much as the WHOLE picture.