Jolida Integrateds

easyeyes

Is anyone using the Jolida 801A? Just want to know how it sounds and your review/recommendation of the product. Most of you are using K-horns/Belles etc, I currently have KLF-30s, will the speakers make a difference in the sound paired with tubes? I must admit that I'm still very apprehensive about using 70-80 wpc to push the four 12s on my speakers. How many watts do I need to push to high levels. I must admit that I mostly listen to music at low, conservation levels, but I also want the ability to crank them if the need arises. For some reason I cannot shake the sound of the tube gear that I recently heard at an audio show.

I will not reply tonight because I have something to do with the family, but I will reply tomorrow when I log on.

Thanks

EE

The only person I know on this forum that has had the Jolia 801 in home is Edster00. He liked the amp and could perhaps add some comments. I have have several Jolida in my home but the most experience revolves around the 302B, the EL-34 based Jolida. The 801 can actually run both EL-34 and 6550 (and probably KT-88). Edster00 has Khorns which will be the next level up sensitivity speaking.

I think the Jolida products are very nice for the price if found used and a deal. On the other hand, I think there are better amps out there used for around the same price as the 801. The used market can really reap dividends if applied with care/caution/patience.

If you have the opportunity to AUDITION the Jolida 801, I highly recommend it before you buy. This to see how it mates with your system. IF you do listen at resonable levels I do believe there are more sublime options out there, however. The integrated selection is a little more tough, though.

kh

I had a Jolida 801A for several months driving Forte', Forte'II's and Cornwalls. I had sold it before I got my Belles or my K-horns. I was running the 6550 tubes in the amp.

The Jolida was my first tube amp on a search for lower powered amps to drive my speakers. I had only owned 70-105wpc SS receivers/amps previously. I figured the tube watts would not be as powerful as the SS watts. I was wrong!The 801A provided waaay more power than what I was looking for. I wanted something that I could turn up past 9 o'clock on the volume dial but the Jolida's didn't meet that requirement. I liked the sound of the Jolida amp a lot, it had the smooth midrange, and nice highs that one would associate with tubes and provided plenty of punch in the bass. One of my buddies still says it is the best sounding amp I have ever owned (but he hasn't heard my Moondogs yet).

I can guarantee you that the Jolida 801A will drive your speakers lounder than you want to listen to them. It is a nice sounding amp but does not have the richness or detail that I found in some other amps (VTL Tiny Triodes or SET amps).

edster,

I also was looking at the Jolida 801A on the used front-Sounds like you liked this amp.How did it mate up with your Cornwalls? Was the bass weak in any way? What did you end up selling it for?

Mobile-what other tube amps would you recommend-either vintage or new EL34 based or otherwise?

Jeff

Craig,

Thanks for the offer-I just might take you up on it. I promised my wife as a pre-New Years resolution that before I make ANY new purchases I will sell what I have before I bring any more things into the house.My house is just getting too full of things as of late.

Just opened up my e-bay sellers acount so that's a start!

Jeff

Thanks for the responses. Jeff and I are thinking on the same lines, my next questions would have been "what are the other choices for a good, starter tubes"? I do not want to pour a lot of money into tube equipment considering I'm really new at it. Reading all of the tweaks and soldering that some are doing and have done somewhat deters me. I do not want to purchase something that I'm constantly have to work on unless it's that 1976 Duece and a Quarter that I want to purchase when I return to the states.

Mobile you mentioned that there are better equipment to be had, what can you and others recommend that sounds good without having put a lot out initially? Did you say this because Jolida is an integrated? Is this the best way to go or do you recommend separate amp/preamp?

Nos, if wish that I can take you up on your offer, but not being in the CONUS makes it difficult for me. I want to drive in the tube direction but not being able to hear before I purchase is the way that I will have to go. That's why I'm depending on the input from the board members. Is it possible to get a real nice set for $800 or less? I'm quite sure that this will be used, I do not have a problem with its purchases as long as it's in good working condition.

Thanks

EE

My amp is an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT:

http://www.divertech.com

It is an EL34 based amp. The sound - open , dynamic, richly textured with a tight bottom end - (beginning to sound a lot like my wife). It sells in the U.S. for around 800.00

As Kelly points out there are many good tube amps available these days in that price range.

Bear in mind that at 102 db/watt/meter the KLF30 is an extremely efficient loudspeaker and will play loudly with a low power amplifier. Therefore I would concern myself more with the quality of the amp than its raw cojones.

easyeyes

Don't let all this soldering scare you away from Vintage. You can purchase a Scott , Dynaco , EICO or whatever and have it rebuilt if not up to it yourself and not have $800 in it and have better overall sound then almost any of the newer offerings. You shouldn't have to touch it for years and years ! The stuff that some of us do here is just tweaking for that last little bit of improvement and not really needed we just do it as a hobby. These units once rebuilt are very reliable. You could ask a number of member that now are using them without touching them at all !!

Good Luck Craig

Since wpc isn't much of a concern with Klipsch speakers, what should I be looking for in a vintage tube amp? In the SS arena I would look at current, what are the key areas with tubes, ie, tube type, manufacturer, maker etc? On this board I see the debate between Scott and Eico, are these the two leading names of vintage gear?

Just for discussion sake, if I purchased a used Scott, Eico or other piece of equipment that was in working order but in need of repair, what type of repairs would I be looking at. If these units are stock from years ago, what kind of upgrades/updates are available to improve the sound? Are there newer tubes now that can enhance the bottom end? Last question, what does it mean to bias your amp?

EE

Actually when looking at Vintage almost any of the Fisher , Scott and EICO had there strong points with some models really coming out on top.

I guess what we need to do here is get more Info from you.

1 What type of music do you listen too ?

2 what is you budget ?

I personally am a Scott lover and currently they are going for cheap on ebay. The EICO's are real nice sounding but for some reason they tend to rake in more then I think there worth most of the time. I've heard great things about Fisher but never heard or worked on one myself. I sure would like to though.

Give us more info and we will help you along either vintage or new/used I know I can get you into a nice Scott intergrated completely rebuilt for under $500 just make sure you give me a link to one before you buy I'll check it out for you.

Craig

NOS,

Without listening to tube gear with my setup I would like to keep the price under $500. Most guys with tubes listen to classical, jazz etc, but I listen exclusively to Gospel to include some comtemporary christian music. Gospel is mostly laid back and vocal, not a lot of instruments most of the time and some tracks are somewhat bassy. The only time I put in something else is around Christmas time and then it's some Ella Fitzgearld and Mahalia Jackson.

I really need some advice/encouragement on making this plunge. I have audiophile friends who are stuck on expensive SS. Their systems sound really good and they are not giving me any help.

What will the mods/upgrades of a scott or other unit do for the bottom end, highs, mids etc.

As far as Scotts go grab a nice looking 222C it will do all you need. If you want it overhauled and tweaked let me know or I will guide you if your a DIY. I bet you can end up well under your budget shipping and all there's no way you would end up over. You won't regret it. But send me a link at craigostby@comcast.net before you buy.

Craig

Classic considerations for vintage amplifiers

Off the top of my head, here are few things I consider when looking at old tube equipment:

Size of the transformers (old ones are usually quite large compared to new ones)

Auto-biasing of the tubes

Bias adjustment screws

Fuses for protection

Amount of carbon build-up in tubes

Any recent measurements or tests on current tubes

Are the tubes run hot, they might burn up more quickly

Estimated tube life

Standard or unique tube used

Possible to use other tubes

Plenty of tubes at popular tube warehouses

New Old Stock (NOS) or common on eBay

Tube still in production = new tubes to choose from

Reviews of the tube in several amplifier reviews say it has the qualities I am looking for

Tube is so popular it is being redesigned and better ones are possible

Popular tube, so resale might be better

Replacement cost of tubes

Point to point wiring or circuit board?

Manufactured or hobbyist kit

Upgrades available, such as the ones for the Dynaco ST70s

Tube cage for dust cover and/or childrens snooping hands

Taps for 4-ohm output

Number of tubes used

Number of inputs available

Phono section

Number of outputs

Outputs can handle large spade or banana plug loudspeaker wires

Anything replaced recently

Any modifications

All the caps have been replaced recently

Original (and therefore possibly) scratchy knobs?

Price of new Asian imports, such as Antique Sound Labs (ASL)

Power up slow or remain constantly on: rare, but some had built-in variac

Includes adjusting meters

Local electronics repair guy knows the model and thinks he can work on it if needed, maybe even knows of a mod for it

Local electronics guy is selling it and will guarantee satisfaction

There is no patina of age on transformers, better yet, the tube sockets look like new

Extremely knowledgeable posters like mobile homeless know and recommend this amplifier

I can sell it for what I paid for it

Two to three feet of cooling air space available for all sides

Thick rubber mats or bubble wrap with paving stone or heavy wood blocks for vibration isolation platforms

Location will allow it/them to be visible with lights down low and cool beverage in hand

Brand name, so price is high, but resell should be good

Unknown bargain, but supported by BBS posters

Loudspeakers are of high (90-dB/w/m) to ultra extreme sensitivity (100-dB)

Active, solid-state powered subwoofer fills out the lowest notes anyway

Class A

Single ended

Triode or pentode

New version of a classic tube amplifier design

Good review with loudspeakers like mine

Has tone controls, still connected or disconnected

Weight, the more the better (especially for Class A)

THD rating at 5 or 1%

Input ohms

Grounded power cord

Whew! No wonder Bose sells so many Plug N Play solutions. Awful lot to consider; that has nothing to do with enjoying the music!

4.gif