PC Soundcards

I want to set up a computer with MP3's that I can hook it up to my Denon 5800 receiver. I would like to send a direct digital signal to the receiver, then let it do the conversion. I think that a fiber optic output or at least a digital phono cord output will be necessary. Additionally, to record my CD's in MP3 format (onto the computer hard drive), I would like to use my denon CD player through the receiver and then into the sound card because I doubt that I can find a computer CD that is comparabe for a reasonable price.

I think that an extremely high signal to noise ratio is necessary b/c the Kliposch speakers are so efficient, but what else should I look for?

Can anyone reccomend a card that will work well for this that is not too expensive (I just looked at one that was $3K--ouch, I was thinking a couple hundered bucks for a card). I plan on having a dedicated pc system for the stereo. I also want to know what other specs that I should look for (processor speed, etc) Any help would be appreciated.

Thnaks

Chris

the best you will be able to do, non pro, in your budge is the SoundBlaster Audigy2 from Creative Labs

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/

use your computer to "rip" the cd's and encode them as 320kbps mp3's, no less than that. bett off using oggvorbis or monkey audio. i use media jukebox to do this.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a Pentium II 233 MHZ that I really don't use. The motherboard has a 66 mhz bus and the system has 64 sdram. I think that the hard drive is a 6.4 gig.

This computer will be used just for music to my stereo. If I add RAM up to the 512 that the board can handle and maybe get a 300 MHZ chip (this is the most that the board can handle with the 66 mhz bus - this might not be worth it), can I put one of the sound cards that you reccomend and get good results. As with any computer, I would rather upgrade the whole system later b/c of the way prices drop.

Thanks,

Chris

OK, I've been re-thinking this.

First, I saw a Terratec DMX6Fire card on ebay starting at $200. If this thing goes for close to that, is this a good deal?

Next, I was going to buy a Denon DVD player. After thinking about it, if I can build a good computer that has great sound and video cards, with a DVD and CDR I may be ahead of the game. What do you reccomend? I don't mind spending some $$, but I don't want to have to keep upgrading (same rationalle behind buying the Klipsch speakers)

I am using a projector and need component video out.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a PII 233 that I used for an mp3 player for awhile and it seemed to work just fine.

I'm not sure how well it would work with one of these newer soundcards though.

My dad has the Midiman 2496 that you mentioned and it is an incredible card, It beats the snot out of the creative cards I have heard.

Using it to record waves on its line in jacks sounds astounding,I must admit though that ths was using an Alesis ADAT XT20 as the source, although with the same source the creative cards still sounded like junk.

Just my two cents2.gif

Peace, Josh

Any pro sound card will leave Creative toys in the dust.I tried the Delta 66 and Audiophile 24/96.Both made the poor Audigy and SB Live! sound like integrated sound solutions found on MOBO's today.

Plus you get quality conectivity and a robust outboard box,as with Creative all you get is a fragile box(Platinum and Platinum EX).

I will install the Delta 66 in my MP3 PC next week. 1.gif Bye bye Audigy