new tv help. $1500 budget

phishken

Hello,

Im really having a hell of a time deciding what tv to buy. My budget is around $1500 but I possibly can come up with a little more. So many options its giving me a headache.

Ive been considering the 47" Panasonic, the 43" Hitachi, and a 36" Sony Wega Flat Screen.

Anyone have any advice on what you'd pick? Any thoughts appreciated.

ken

That is a tough one. I'd stay away from the Sony, unless you want to be stuck with a 4x3 set. The Panny is what I was going to suggest before I viewed your thread and saw it was already one you were considering. I don't know which 43" Hitachi you were looking at, but again, I wouldn't get locked into 4x3 at this stage in the game, you'll regret it later. The 43" widescreen Hitachi is nice, especially the new one with better stretch modes, etc. but is a little out of the $1500 range, especially if you need the stand to put it on. The Panasonic is probably one of the best values in TV's out there. Good quality for a low price, and doesn't need a stand to sit on.

let me try to steer you into a different direction. go to presentingsolutions.com and look at the NEC45vt (or vt45??) projector.

It is HDTV ready, and supposed to be an excellent projector for the price. at 1200 lumens, daytime viewing is not a problem. the unit is svgs (800 x 600) but compresses higher resolution really well.

the only caution that I have is that the bulbs in projectors last abotu 1500 to 3000 hours depending on the model that you pick and replacement is about $400.

otherwise, the coolness factor is there. A friend of mine has an old sharp professional unit that he puts in his backyard for fights. We watch on a kingsized sheet stretched around a wood frame. (about a 13' screen)

The NEC unit is small enough to put wherever you want to move it to.

the last thing is that you will need a surround receiver and a separate tuner (cable box, dish, or a vcr with a built in tuner) but this stuff should not be a problem.

anyway, this is an option to think about. I have been researching it for a while.

Chris

oh yea, I forgot to add that you can get a 300" picture.

if you have 14' from the projector, you can get over 100". also, the projector does not have to be centered. you can hang it high up and a correction system makes the pic square on the wall.

for a screen, you can project on the wall (kind of tacky), buy a screen, or mount some painted drywall with a fancy wood frame (if you are good at fabricating)

Chris

I've got the 36" WEGA Sony (KV36FS13, paid $1133.00 early this year). I am very pleased with the set. Great picture, no useless features that I don't need (like picture in picture). I'm using it as my main HT TV right now until I get a projection big screen (then the wife inherits this one for the living room).

Great picture, sound is OK, but I always use the HT anyway. Biggest complaint is the thing weighs a TON. Guess that makes it theftproof...

HTH.

John.