Something funny happened to me Sunday...

Deang

I've already shared this with Kelly and Craig, and thought the rest of you would get a kick out of it.

As I was sitting at work Sunday, this email popped into my inbox.

TO: Dgwescott

Hey Dg, saw the nice work you did on those Dahlquists. Don't know if you are interested, but I have acquired a pair of DQ-10's and you can have them for free if you want, just pay for shipping. They are boxed in the original boxes and could probably be shipped as-is. Woofer on one appears to be out, but the other speaker seems ok. - anyway if you are interested, just let me know.

It seems there is no escape from these things. God help me.

Kartracer77

Now, what makes you think I would give up a FREE pair of DQ-10's? These are already on there way to me. I figured I would work the magic on them in my spare time.

These are in VERY bad shape. See the attached picture.

These look like they've been stored in a cave for the last 10 years.

Both woofers are shot. Not just the surrounds either. The guy says he hears 'scaping' sounds while they're playing. So, the voice coils are probably toast. I will have to buy new woofers.

The midwoofers are for the most part shot. The rubber surrounds are cracked, and splitting -- all the way through on one of the drivers. I will have to find someone to rebuild them for me.

There are no legs or stands.

He says the wood rails look really beat up. I may not be able to save them.

I can't get anything definitive on the tweeters, except that the "fuses are intact".

I have enough parts left over from the last fiasco to rebuild both crossovers. Basically, Solen and NTE aluminum housed resistors. Nothing fancy like the last pair, but it will have to suffice -- because funds are limited.

I may not even bother restoring the grills. They are junk to begin with, and there is the little known fact that 8% of all sound output from the drivers -- hits the mesh screen from the grill, and bounces back into the forward path of the output, causing some cancellation effects.

Since I won't be using the grills, I may put more focus on asthetics. I may do away with the masonite baffles, and instead use a very intert, hard and resiliant form of clear plastic resin. I'll probably do something more interesting with the brackets as well.

Lot's of new ideas, and when I'm done -- maybe you can make me an offer I can't refuse. These will probably be used to help finance some other insane "upgrade".

post-3205-1381924569548_thumb.jpg