My next project -- I will need help from you

Deang

OK.

The place I last bought TD-124 rubber from is:

www.schopper.ch

but they don't list the Thorens stuff on the website any longer. I would email them to check on availability.

On ebay, this guy has the goods. I don't know who he is, but I'll bet he gets the stuff from the same source. Prices seem fair to me--about what I paid a few years ago from Europe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1942559069

Check out all of his auctions and send him an email.

Believe me when I tell you that you need to replace ALL the rubber (except maybe the idler wheel) on your TD-124!! The table will rumble like a banshee if the rubber is at all dried out and hardened. The idler wheel bushing issue is another story. I've seen 124's that are sloppy as hell and others really tight--you'll have to check yours.

Let me know if you want to borrow one of my spare SME 3009 tonearms and the armboard. DO NOT use a Grado or Shure cartridge with this table! Try to find a nice used Dynavector or Ortofon if you don't want to lay out the bucks for a SPU or Decca London.

Allen,

I would love to borrow the arm, and hopefully work out a deal with you later when some money starts rolling in again. Is this acceptable?

Which "used" cartridge is going to give me readily available replacement stylis'?

I wouldn't worry about a replaceable stylus tip.

A well-cared-for stylus lasts a long, long time.

I think the number is as high as 3-4000 hours, but most think the number closer to 1000 or so. Most used cartidges that come up on Audiogon and similar sites have a couple of hundred hours on them at most--many of us change cartridges like socks!

If you don't want to take the chance on a used cartridge, then the best bang for the buck is the Ortofon MC-1 Turbo, a high-output MC that can be had for around $100 brand new. I have put these in a couple of pal's cheap tables (Dual and Yamaha) and they sound pretty darn good. Not a bad way to go until you step up to the plate for a SPU! And when you do it will make a VERY nice spare!

I don't have a problem with buying a used cartridge, heck, just about everything I own I bought used except the RF7's and 9000ES.

The problem I have is dropping money for a cartridge that I can't continue to use (down the road), because of the lack of availability of a replacement stylus.

The MC-1 might be a good place to start for now. Money is tight, and like most audioidiots of the early 80's -- I sold off most of my vinyl.

You know, my birthday is in Janurary, and if you wanted, you could send that 3009 gift-wrapped. Hee hee, I guess you want to talk about that later.:)

Dean,

I'm afraid everyone here is mistaken -- that is a "Thurens" turntable, not the Thorens model that bears some superficial resemblance. As such, it is close to worthless, and might even be environmentally toxic. I recommend sending it to me for proper disposal; I have a toxic dump located in my basement.

Geez, what did you trade for that? Those babies pull for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

I traded a Dan Wesson .357 revolver for it between 1979 an 1982. I can't remember the exact year. I was selling the gun through the Trading Post, and a caller asked me if I would be interested in a trade. I only knew that Thorens made decent tables -- so I went for it. After I got it, I couldn't do crap with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check the speed accuracy of the motor? I had one of those Thorens for many years. Eventually the motor wore out and I discovered they don't make them anymore. For awhile there was a guy in Switzerland (?) who would rebuild them. You had to send the whole unit to him. Then, it seemed he closed his doors. I am not sure if he is back in business, but at the time he would guarantee to make it better than new but it was not cheap and add to that the shipping both ways. Eventually I gave up on the thing and sold it as is with full disclosure of its condition and got 4 times what I had originally paid for it (used). There may be other motor systems which can be retrofitted. After spending so much time under the chassis, I finally decided I was not thrilled by its technology. I am much happier now with the Music Hall MMF-7 than I ever was with the Thorens.

c7s

Well, the motor does work, and the speed can be adjusted by changing the distance of the magnet and the "wheel".

I haven't really had any time to play with this thing yet. I want to change the wiring and play with the crossover on the Heresies a bit before I tackle the turntable, and I may even have to restore another set of DQ's or two. I've had several offers from people who want me to rebuild their DQ's based on pics with the ad I ran when I sold mine. I may have to do these things just so I can finance my ludicrous experiments.