Fisher Integrated: is it worth it?

whell

This tube integrated is for sale by a seller near me, so I can inspect before I buy. The question is, is this unit worth anywhere near the asking price?

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1043382352

It appears to be on the rough side cosmetically, and I'm not convinced the seller is correct to say that these types of cosmetic issues can be cleaned up.

Thanks for any thoughts!

P.S.: a pair of K-horns is for sale near me as well on Ebay. Sarn shame I've got nowhere near the room to put a pair of those beasties!

Well, the faceplate looks like hell, but you probably can put some sweat equity into this and get it looking half way decent.

The inside pics look great, but it would have been nice if had flipped the amp over and showed us the bottom.

Black gate caps and other replacement parts and work probably did cost quite a bit, and I would imagine he's trying to make some of his money back.

$750 is a lot of money for this ugly piece of metal.

I would wait for someone else to post comments before considering this thing.

Mike, just to give you an idea, I got my Scott 222D in September at a price of about $150. Restoration was about $285, not including shipping. The cosmetics are better than the Fisher you are looking at, but not that great either...about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. My guess is you can probably do better than what he wants for the Fisher...though it does say obo, so you can bid what you feel it's worth...who knows!

This is a VERY, VERY rare integrated--I owned one in the early 1980's and have seen only one other example. The X-1000 might be the MOST collectible integrated amp ever made and I think $750 is NOT unreasonable for a good one. The ugly face plate can be made to look a little better, but will never look good. I'll bet that a really clean mint original might bring $1200 or more. Fisher made very few of these and they cost more than a 500 receiver when new. How does it sound? OK (the EL34 isn't my fave, so I've got a built in bias--I prefer the 7189 and 7591 Fishers)--you can certainly do as well for less, but if you're a Fisher collector, this is one of the "holy grail" pieces.