Tube Amp With "NO TUBES"

easyeyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1941770957

I'm looking for a scott 299C tube amp, while cruising ebay this is what I saw. Can some explain to me exactly what this is? Has this been modded or is this still considered a tube amp?

EE

You are bidding on a vintage H.H. Scott model 299-C StereoMaster Integrated Tube Amplifier. Circa 1963-4. Forty watts per channel. Response: 20-20,000 Hz. Has Tape, Tuner, Extra, and dual Phono inputs. Left/Right channel balance and Bass/Treble controls. Polished aluminum faceplate, chassis and matching knobs. Output speaker taps for 4, 8, and 16 Ohms. Has the H.H. Scott TRA8-5-4 Output transformers. This is a Parts Set or could be restored. No tubes included. Someone added a external cap to replace one of the metal Filter caps. The output and power transformers test good and could be used to build a custom amp. Buyer pays shipping via UPS Ground for 35 lbs. & Insurance from New Jersey. I accept Checks, Money Orders, PayPal, and BidPay. Please check my Ebay ratings buyers are always pleased! Thank you.

EE,

Since no one else is replying I will try to help.

This Scott looks like someone tried to repair it that didn't know what they were doing, so it may or may not even work.

It also looks like someone, maybe the seller robbed the tubes to sell separately on ebay, in some of these vintage units the tubes are worth more than the amp. When I bought my Fisher 800C for $200, it had 9 Telefunken smoothplate 12ax7's in it that are worth $30-$40 each.

It will probably goes pretty cheap, but be prepared to pay for repair if you you cannot do it yourself, and a complete retubing. I don't know what tubes this unit used, try contacting NOS440 (Craig), he is the resident Scott expert.

Regards,

Greg