Please help!!

spin

Yesterday I was giving a demo of my new home theater system and something sounded strange. I am not getting any sound out of my sub. I have RF3-II complete system with RSW-12 sub. I have a Denon AVR 3803 receiver. I get sound with test tones, but when I was showing my neighbor what he had been hearing, nothing. The "Arena" scene in Star Wars Episode II when all the creatures were trying to kill the Jedi, no bass. Pleas help if you can. I have power at the sub, and all connections are correct. It was working fine 2 days ago with very deep bass.

Well, I put in Star Wars with DD Pro Logic II---nothing.

Put in DMX in the same DVD player in DD pro logic--nothing. Then switch to pure direct on my receiver and BOOM! I am picking Christmas ornaments up out of the floor from all the bass??? If I change channels to Stereo in the DVD while playing the movie, I get bass. Go figure.

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention that these settings could be different for each of the surround modes (i.e. different for stereo mode than DD or DTS mode). You can turn the subwoofer output on/off in stereo mode, but the same change will not occur in other modes until you change it manually.

-PB

Spin,

You said the Pro Logic II gives no bass. Pro Logic II is for 2 channel sources, not 5.1 sources. The .1 is the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel, i.e., the subwoofer channel.

Your DVD player's setup menu must be set to "bitstream enable" to get 5.1 movies to the receiver via either digital coax or toslink connections. Your receiver should have the toslink or coax set as the input to go with the DVD. Your receiver will then automatically play SW II in DD 5.1. There is lots of bass in the LFE channel in SW II.

Speakers other than your mains need to be set to small. Mains can be set to large or small, but small is usually best with a RSW-12. It avoids bass cancellations and mudiness.

Hope that this helps.

Bill

OK, you said the PLII was for 2 channel only. I have had the system for 2 weeks and I have been watching all movies in Dolby PLII Cinema surround mode. I have been getting plenty of bass. Now when I play dvds I get no bass, in this mode. I have changed no settings. I thought this setting sounded best for dvd. My sub is enabled in all modes. It is almost like my receiver is not sending any signal to the sub. The red indicator light on the sub stays on now when previously it turned green when playing dvds in this mode. What channel do you watch movies in?

Spin,

The auto on feature of your sub may not be sensitive enough to turn te sub on. My RSW-15 had this problem.

I set the receiver level on the LFE channel to +9 db; I then turned down the volume on the sub to compensate. I also used a sub cable the has a Y on the subwoofer end. The Y splitter goes into both the right and left line-in on the sub. This doubles the input to the sub.

Also try setting the mains to small on the receiver setup.

Bill

----------------

On 12/4/2002 9:27:11 AM spin wrote:

This may be a dumb question (Im new to this stuff)but how do I turn the PL off?
----------------

On your Denon, select the DVD player as the source, then select Auto as the decoding format. It will detect DD 5.1 (or DTS if you select DTS from the sound menu when you put a DVD with DTS in the player). Then, whenever you select the DVD as the source, the Denon will remember that you last set it to auto, and it will go into auto mode automatically, thereby picking the correct digital surround decoding mode.

DD

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the replies. You have all been a great help. However, the guys from Denon and I have come to the conclusion that I have a defective receiver. Evidently, the receiver is not detecting DD 5.1 or DTS when I put the different disks in. I tried several different disks and nothing. The salesman at 6ave.com was very helpful and is going to replace the receiver at no cost to me for the shipping. He even offered me a different brand receiver if I wanted it. The Denon has an indicator light on the front that detects DD, another that detects DTS. The only down to the whole thing is that I will be without a receiver for about 2 weeks.

Thanks again for all the help.