Is 65 watts enough

JP659

With a rated sensitivity of 98dB@1watt/1meter to produce sound from 32Hz to 20kHz and within 3dB, the KLF-10 towers can handle 150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak). This probably means that at three meters away (10 feet), only one watt will provide about 95dB, something like ten watts will provide 98dB there, 20-watts will provide about 101dB and 40-watts will give you a painfully loud 104dB. This is plenty loud enough for most people in average rooms. Avoid using more than half the power on the receiver, because above that point is dirty and it can damage your loudspeakers and your audio sensibilities. For really thumping bass, consider adding an actively powered loudspeaker dedicated to reproducing those huge bass waves, a subwoofer 2.gif

----------------

On 12/3/2002 11:44:06 PM JP659 wrote:

I am getting the KLF10s and im wondering if my Yamaha Rx-550s 65 watts a channel is enough to make them loud?

----------------

Because of the theory that you need to double your power to gain 3dbs, there really would be little difference between this 65 watts and say 80 watts.

Therefore, to increase by 3dbs from your current amp, you would need to double your wattage to 128 (64*2).

I think the more important question is, at what point does law of deminishing returns meet your desires, and your wallet? 64 watts, 128 watts, 256 watts,...,1024 watts, etc?

Some will say that 110dbs is the minimum. It depends on what works for you. Personally I do most of my listing around 72dbs, and sometimes push it to 85. I have only hit 100+ dbs out of curiosity.

So it's all up to you, and what you prefer.

"Hey, I got a question. How do you know how many dbs you`re listen`n to? Is there a meter you can get or......? "

Yep ! It's called a wife !

Observed Behaviours:

80 db = Gee that sounds nice !

90 db = Gee that's a bit loud ! Are you sure the neighbours won't complain ?

100 db = Could you turn it down a bit DEAR ?

110 db = Here's the deal a$$hole - Turn it down and I'll let go !

120 db = Lorena just told me that it was actually John's stereo that set her off !

You can also get a cheap Sound Pressure Level meter at Radio Shack. They have both an analog and a digital version. Get the analog version - It is less expensive and gives a better indication for audio use.