Garage Setup

Faster

Hey guys Setting up a garage/man cave and have the following i can use,  looking for recommendations or suggested changes as i am no audiophile.  I have the following, please feel free to lambast me or make suggestions.  I would like to use what i have and not spend any more money but Primary goal is solid quality sound stage that is seamless and matches so spending isn't out of the question.

Speakers

Kg3.5's

RC62

RP150M's

Energy C3 Connoisseur series 

Energy Take 5 Classic Set

Pioneer AJ BS41

Subs

RW-12D

Energy 10.3 Sub

Velodyne DPS-12

AVR 

HK3600

HK3700

Onkyo TX-NR686

AMP

Speakercraft 12 channel amp

Let em fly!

• Like 1

Billy Bob thanks for jumping in!  I will use this primarily for home theater, Plenty of space, its a 6 car garage and the speaker coverage will fill an area 18x18.  It is insulated Wood.  I will also use the second Zone for some outdoor speaker set up with the amp mentioned in the post but those speakers are not included hear and will remain their own setup.

My initial thoughts were to use a 5.2 set up using the RP's front and Back with the RC62 Center and the Kilpsch and Velo Subs.

But if anyone had any advice in integrating the energy C'3's for a 7.2 or the C3's and the energy Take 5's for creating an Atmos set up im all ears....

Primarily wanted to know thoughts on using these two subs together and also if the TC62 would be a good match or should i consider replacing with something different?  Also am i woefully underpowered with these AVR's or will they do the job well enough?  if not any recommendations on what i should consider to replace with or others good experience with a good unit that wont break the bank

8 minutes ago, Faster said:

My initial thoughts were to use a 5.2 set up using the RP's front and Back with the RC62 Center and the Kilpsch and Velo Subs.

Like this idea except for using the rc 62 as surround. Would use it as intended, as the front 3 speakers.

Others will look at for rear surround.

Your initial 5 .2 sounds pretty good, especially with two subs. I'm not sure which AVR would be the best, Onkyo? The best thing to do is experiment, you have so much gear, there's a lot to play with. Try each AVR, them add an amp. One might sound better with movies, another better with music. You can probably do a 7.2 and still sound good by adding the C3s. Just have fun with it.

• Like 1

Have used the Energy Take 2 with Klipsch and was happy. Decisions on an AVR you know more than I about if they are 5.1, 7.1, or 9.

Would try your 5.2 first and if not decent, replace the RP bookshelves with the 3.5 Klipsch.

That would let you move the RP to rear to try. Also, AVR that has a zone 2 you would know. Running the speaker wire for your setup with enough wire to let you fine tune speaker placement at first will of course give you the versatility to compare, mix and match speakers.

23 hours ago, Faster said:

Primary goal is solid quality sound stage that is seamless and matches so spending isn't out of the question.

Ideally you want your front 3 speakers to all be of the same line.  For example, 3 Heritage speakers, 3 Reference speakers, 3 Synergy speakers etc.  You get more of a seamless front sound stage that way especially when the sound pans from one side to the other.  Can you mix and match?  Sure, level match and go but 3 from the same line is best.  You can see what I'm referring to if you play pink noise out of the speakers individually.  They'll sound completely different from each another.

This is all great  thanks for chiming in  it is just enough ti get my mind running with thoughts,  i find myself with less and less time before my wife finds me playing with the stereo and decides she has a more important project on her honey do list ti take me away from my fun so these are all great starts.

I do need to clarify one thing in my previous comment and the RP comments.  I was thinking about using them for the fronts AND rears, while using the RC62 as center so i think that aligns with your comment.

Cecca thanks for the test suggestion!

4 minutes ago, Faster said:

This is all great  thanks for chiming in  it is just enough ti get my mind running with thoughts,  i find myself with less and less time before my wife finds me playing with the stereo and decides she has a more important project on her honey do list ti take me away from my fun so these are all great starts.

I do need to clarify one thing in my previous comment and the RP comments.  I was thinking about using them for the fronts AND rears, while using the RC62 as center so i think that aligns with your comment.

Cecca thanks for the test suggestion!

Thought you had just 2  rp speakers but yes, biggest up front or the plan as you say. They would be closer that way to matching.