Klipsch the company...

Johnnyshapes

Hey!

I am a newly apointed audio/video systems technical salesmen. Our company sells Klipsch product, and I was wondering if there was some information regarding the Klipsch company itself that anyone had. Basically, for my own curiosity, and also to inform consumers what Klipsch is all about. Now, i do know some basics about the company (ex- the speakers are all wired using monster cable). However, i'd like to know about some of the history of the company, or what makes them unique.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your replies.

-Johnny

Commercial Horn Loudspeakers

Brand: Klipsch

History: Significant Events

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1940 Paul Klipsch develops his first experimental corner woofer (X-1), a prototype of the Klipschorn.

1942 X-3 is born. 1945 - Klipschorn patent is granted on X-3.

1946 PWK develops midrange horn to match X-3 woofer.

1948 Acquires his first factory building - now the museum.

1949 Klipsch Rebel and Klipsch turntable introduced.

1956 Klipsch Shorthorn introduced.

1957 A new Klipsch speaker, the Klipsch Heresy, is developed. For this speaker, corner placement is not mandatory.

1959 Klipsch Cornwall introduced.

1963 Klipsch La Scala loudspeaker is designed to be used in the P.A. system for Winthrop Rockerfeller's gubernatorial race.

1971 The Belle Klipsch, a more elegant version of the Klipsch La Scala, goes into production.

1977 Klipsch & Associates introduces its industrial line.

1978 Paul Klipsch awarded AES Silver Medal.

1979 Started construction of new test laboratory featuring an anechoic chamber.

1980 One-of-a-kind anechoic chamber built with a 4-quadrant "revolving" door to permit testing of corner-type speakers.

1982 Klipsch Kg2 introduced.

1984 Paul Klipsch inducted into the Audio Hall of Fame.

1985 Klipsch Kg4 introduced. Klipsch Forte introduced.

1987 Klipsch Chorus introduced.

1989 Fred Klipsch (a cousin) and his wife Judy Klipsch, purchase company from Paul Klipsch. Klipsch Quartet introduced.

1990 Klipsch Kg1 and Kg3 introduced.

1991 Klipsch Kg sw introduced.

1992 Klipsch Kg1.2, Kg2.2, Kg3.2, Kg4.2, Kg5.2 introduced. IW 100 & IW 200 in-wall speakers introduced.

1993 Powered Subwoofer line introduced. New Mexico State University dedicates the Klipsch Lecture Hall.

Center Channel line introduced.

1994 Klipsch Kg.5, Kg1.5, Kg2.5, Kg3.5, Kg4.5, Kg5.5 introduced.

Klipsch THX introduced.

epic series introduced.

1995 Klipsch IW50, IW150, IW250 introduced.

New Mexico State University dedicates the Klipsch Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering.

1996 Klipsch KV4, Klipsch Rebel VIII introduced.

Klipsch, purchases Pyle Manufacturing.

Klipsch introduces IC525, IC650, IC800 in-ceiling speakers.

Klipsch Synergy series subwoofers introduced.

Klipsch Legend KLF20, KLF30 introduced.

1997 Klipsch Synergy Monitor and Tower lines introduced.

Introduction of voice-matched center and surround speakers completes Klipsch Synergy and Klipsch Legend families.

Klipsch introduces Premiere powered speakers which include internally amplified subwoofers.

Paul Klipsch inducted into the Engineering and Science Hall of Fame for his contributions in acoustics, ballistics and geophysics.

Klipsch retains rights to "Klipsch Professional" name and begins manufacturing and marketing professional sound reinforcement and theater products.

1998 Klipsch introduces the most compact home theater in its history-the Quintet Micro Theater.

While the designs have changed along the way, the foundation of Klipsch's work-horn-loaded technology-has remained constant. The hallmark of Klipsch loudspeakers, horns offer high efficiency, low distortion, controlled directivity and flat frequency response, allowing them to more closely reproduce the quality and tonal characteristics of live sound. His love of music and desire to hear an "orchestra" in his home is what drew Paul Klipsch to spend his fifth career refining the design principles that changed an industry. He has said, "Audio was a hobby and then a profession, but I still consider myself an amateur in that an amateur is one who practices his art for love." Up to the age of 96, Paul Klipsch played an active in the company he and his wife Valerie sold to a cousin and Indianapolis businessman Fred Klipsch in 1989. In 1993, Klipsch became one of the Klipsch Lanham Investment (KLI) companies, adding third partner Charles Lanham.

Why horns?

A loudspeaker using a horn design has the ability to play louder, with lower levels of distortion, than a conventional speaker using direct radiators. The way the horn achieves this performance advantage is by coupling the motion of the solid diaphragm to the fluid air more efficiently. This reduces diaphragm motion and therefore lowers distortion. In other words, a horn-loaded loudspeaker will be able to play louder with the same amount of input power and with lower levels of distortion. Another way to look at it that horns increase the effective radiating area of the drive element (diaphragm). The relatively small diaphragm has the output of a diaphragm the size of the horn mouth. Another advantage of horns is their ability to provide a precise and consistent coverage pattern. This allows the designer to control where the sound goes.

Aren't horns an outdated design?

Although horns were one of the earliest methods used to reproduce sound (i.e. megaphones or Edison's early phonographs), they are just as appropriate now, if not more so, than in the past.

Moving past Edison's early non-electronic phonographs into the era of amplified sound, horns played an important part in reproducing realistic listening levels. Early amplifiers were mono and very low powered. In today's electronic world of high-powered amplifiers, it's easy to forget the first amplifiers had only a few watts of power. If one wanted to reproduce realistic listening levels, horns were a natural because of their high efficiency and low distortion.

Horns played an important part in the motion picture industry from the beginning and are still utilized today in the vast majority of movie theaters.

The development of digital recording and playback technology has increased the amount of dynamic range a system must reproduce.

As we move through the third millennium, horns are once again a natural because of their high efficiency, low distortion and wide dynamic range.

What is the Klipsch design philosophy?

In 1945, Paul established a company design philosophy that was founded in physics and took into account the capabilities of the human ear. Klipsch engineers are always working to improve speaker performance - updating components and crossover networks, incorporating state-of-the-art materials and innovative cabinet designs - but the laws of physics don't change, and neither will the basic Klipsch design philosophy.

There are four major elements that make up the Klipsch loudspeaker design philosophy:

High Efficiency. More acoustic output with less input power and diaphragm motion, coupled with high power handling, this results in broad dynamic range.

Low Distortion. This results from low diaphragm motion.

Controlled Directivity. A controlled coverage pattern minimizes reflections.

Flat/Wide Frequency Response.

The Klipsch Reference Series is considered by many to be the most sophisticated, highly refined line of sonically matched loudspeakers available from Klipsch, today. From top-of-the-line materials and advanced horn technology to striking copper-colored woofers and rich wood veneers, Reference Series loudspeakers appeal to people who understand the meaning of the phrase "no compromise."

The Klipsch Synergy Series is quite possibly the most versatile line of loudspeakers you'll find in specialty audio stores around the world. With a grand total of 24 models that match in technology, materials and styling, our Synergy Series offers premium entry-level performance at a very reasonable price. Synergy Series loudspeakers are horn-loaded and Klipsch engineered, which means they produce high output and broad dynamics, bringing "like live" sound to your favorite movies and music.

Justin provides a good list of Klipsch history, but I'm going to suggest how to discover the Heritage (both literally and figuratively) of Paul W. Klipsch:

Place your ears between a pair of Klipschorns, and you will come to understand what this great man and company are truly all about. I am as serious as a heart attack - this will tell you more than any of our words possibly can.

Do it - whatever it takes. As Paul W. Klipsch might say, "No bulls#it".

Johnny,

Justin's response gives an excellent answer. IMHO, the most important parts deal with Klipsch's high sensitivty and low distortion.

The Reference line of speakers are ideal for receivers that tend to be challeneged for power on very dynamic movies like Lord of the Rings.

Not all shoppers will like the Klipsch sound. Some folks think Klipsch sounds too "bright". It takes some time to get used to the Klipsch sound. Some folks will never like it. Klipsch does not go well with components that are bright as well. Some folks feel that Rotel does not compliment Klipsch. (Many would disagree.)

On the other hand, I will always buy Klipsch as long as the corporate philosophy does not change. It's the good sound with good build. Service has a good reputation. I have never needed it, but it is nice to know that it is there.

I heard Klipsch corner horns as my first encounter with this brand. If I were to build a two channel system, K-horns would be my first choice.

Bill