Heresy dates and components

Bryon

HI

I was wondering if someone could help me with some information on my Heresys. The serial #s are HBR 62S012 inspected by Jenny Hunt(signature hard to read with my old eyes) and tested by NWBradford and HBR 73T571 inspected by April Conray (maybe) and tested by NWBradford.

I bought them as a pair in 1978 I think - might have been 1979-(maybe the experts here can help me with the year of manufacture)and am wondering why the serial #'s vary so much. I know the HBR stands for Heresy Birch Unfinished but the other numbers I am not sure about.

Can someone tell me what the year of manufacture was as well as what type drivers they have and the crossover type.

Until about six months ago I was using solid state equipment and was becoming dissatisfied with the sound which I found a bit harsh and considered changing speakers. This fall I made the move to tubes - with a Botthead foreplay and Paramour 2A3 monoblocks and it was a match made in Heaven. So much better sound, so smooth and sweet but maybe lacking a bit of life. I've never taken off the backs but lately the diy bug has bitten, and I am thinking of rewiring and recapping the speakers. After all after 24 years oxidation has probably taken its toll. Any suggestions?

I remember the literature which came with the Heresys suggested that they be placed in a corner on the floor so the floor would act as a sounding board and improve the bass response. That seemed to work with hardwood floors but I wasn't sure with wall to wall carpet. I succumbed to building risers a few years ago and wonder if that didn't cause some of the deterioration. I would put them on the floor and A-B the placement but they are heavy and my back is bad so I was wondering what others have found and if there is an optimum height for risers if they are beneficial.

thanks

peace

Bryon

Hi Bryon, and welcome to the forum. Your Heresy with the "S" in its serial number was made in 1978...the one with the "T" in its serial number was made in 1979. Generally, when the speakers were decorator versions(as yours are), once the cabinets made it to the final assembly area, there was a meagar attempt made to pair them up in appearance before stamping-in the serial numbers on them. And there are many with consecutive serial numbers that are a fairly close match in appearance. But, once they left the plant and arrived at dealers, there was not any requirement that they make any attempt to sell them as consecutively-serial-numbered pairs. This was not the case for the NON-decorator versions, though. Klipsch made it clear to the dealers that these non-decorator versions were to be sold in consecutively-serial-numbered pairs, unless they were ordered as single units, since they were built-up as matching pairs to begin with!

You must have bought those in 1979, and whoever went to the dealer storage area just grabbed up two of them without bothering to pair them up. That is why they have serial numbers denoting two different years of manufacture. I would imagine the 1978-made one was built in late 1978, while the 1979-made one was built in early 1979...unless your dealer didn't rotate his stock as he got it into his storage area.

Either way, there was no difference between the components used in those two years...except maybe for the tweeter...depending on when in 1979 the second one was made. Sometime around 1979-1980 is when the changeover to the K-77M from the K-77 occurred. Otherwise everything else should be indentical inside of them...or at least have the same model designations....K-55V midrange driver, K-700 metal midrange horn lens, and K-22E woofer....with type E network. There isn't enough difference between what you can hear between the two different tweeters' models to really make any difference, especially to older ears! LOL!

Personally, I prefer the Heresys on the floor with no riser or stand at all...they seem to be able to project their bass better that way... to MY ears, anyway.

It may have been ME who built your Heresys...very likely so...check on the rear edge of the sides near the butt joints...if you see the letter "A" stamped in there...or a two-letter combination with an "A" in it...it was me! Sometimes our builder code got sanded down in the sanding room and it is difficult to see, or is gone...there also should be a sander code stamped into them too...it will appear more clearly, since it was stamped in after the sanding was finished. Builder code was either right above or right below the sander code, generally...and it is also generally at the top rear of the cabinet...normally on the left rear side edge.

Either way, you should have some very good speakers there. I sincerely doubt there is any problem inside of them, since they are more or less "airtight" cabinets...unless a tweeter diaphragm has been damaged over the years. If you choose to open them up, I would bet the crossover networks will look brand-new!!...same for everything else, too!

My opinion is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" This especially applies to the Heresys. I have not YET found any reference to modifications made to Heresys of yours' era that have been proven cost-effective, or have made any appreciable HEARD sonic difference. So...whatever you do, keep that in mind.

Enjoy em, they are still one of the very best speakers of their size and in their category/price-range ever made!!

If you want to know for sure what components are in your Heresys, just take the backs off. They are all labelled. I think you will find Type E crossover networks, K-22-EF woofers, K-55-V squawker drivers on K-700 horns, and K-77 and/or K-77-M tweeters.

All the tweaks are covered in the archives.

Thanks for the information. I checked the initials on the back and there were indeed two sets on one but only one set on the others. OD, who I assume was the sander, was on both and AS was on the speaker built in 1978, which would suggest that you, indeed, were responsible for at least one of my speakers. Wow!! I get, personally if not in person, to thank someone who had a part in giving me a lot of joy over the years. Thank you very much. The internet is truly an amazing thing - allowing me to connect to someone so intimately responsible for years of listening pleasure. I think I'll try them on the floor again.

peace

Bryon

OD was indeed the sander...Ola Mae Davis...she was pretty much on in years back when I worked there, and retired before 1983...I imagine she is no longer with us by now...but she was one helluva good sander...and a real character to boot! LOL! Steve(can't remember his last name) was my helper on the one with my initial on it...he was one of the few helpers I had over the years who was consistent in his quality...he put the front in the cabinet, and installed the rear glue blocks and caulked them up in the corners. Mr. Bradford, who tested your speakers, is in his 80's now...but from what I hear...he still does a little mandolin picking!! I am happy that your Heresys have brought you so much pleasure over the years...and hope they continue to do so!

Hey folks,

Don't mean to be rude and cut in but I have questions for HBRbuilder as well. And it's even on the same topic.

HBR , I asked a couple of posts ago..( New to forum old vs new)

I asked then if any one had any other info about my Hersey's. Since I have been reading the posts I have figured out some more info I should have included.

First , i said they were HBR consecutive # 156Y303 / 304

@ Trademark 1980 . Inspector: Judy Purtle(?)

Tested : Chris Willis Also looking at the initials that you have stated exist I have found that on the bottom left and top right ( at the butt plates ) mine have USA stamped. At the top is the serial numbers. On the left hand side board has the initial "F" stamped.

Would you happen to know the history of these like you did for the person who started this post?