Remodeling a 'theater' room... seeking advice

ghostrydr

Decided to turn a spare bedroom into a 'theater' room.

Room Dimensions: 12' L x 10' W - right side of ceiling 7'6" left side of ceiling 9' (vaulted)

Not a huge space but IMHO sufficient.

Equipment

Speakers

Front Klipsch RP-6000F

Center Klipsch RP-400C

Side Klipsch R-5800-W II In-Wall Speaker

Rear Klipsch R-41M

Atmos Klipsch CDT-2650-C II In-Ceiling Speaker

AVR

Yamaha TSR 7850R

Video

Samsung 75 in Class Q70T QLED 4K Ultra HD HDR flat panel monitor

My question is, do I have the side and rear speakers correct, or should I use the R-5800's in the rear and the R-41M's on the side?

Another question (of which there are many) the Yamaha can do a Bi-amp for the RP-6000's. Yea or Ney?

Thanks!

Side surrounds usually get more sound info than rears so I think your layout looks good. 

As far as bi amping, your Yamaha is already using up a lot of juice powering all your other speakers.  A much better idea would be to use pre-amp outputs (if your receiver has them) for your main speakers to an external amp.  I'd suggest connecting everything first and see how it sounds before you do that though. 

Yes sorry didn't include the sub. Theater Solutions Sub 8S. It works pretty well. Bought it for the motorhome then moved it into the house when we got back off the road. (C-19 quagmire of quaranteening, etc) Any help on proper crossover would be appreciated too.

20210211_160404.thumb.jpg.0efb219a5d96291fc9922d07586856f2.jpg

(Unplugged sub cable for photo)

Ceiling is half vault. I intend to install atmos speakers then use the Yamaha YAPD mic and see if that can obtain correct aspect for difference in height of atmos speakers.

If not then I guess I get to rip out more sheet rock :)

The Yamaha has 2 pre-amp outs - front and sub 1 sub 2.

I don't understand how I could run both 6000's with only one front preamp out?

Sorry - lotta new technology all at once

Thanks folks!

TSR7850r.jpg

Edited by ghostrydr

2 minutes ago, ghostrydr said:

Yes sorry didn't include the sub. Theater Solutions Sub 8S. It works pretty well. Bought it for the motorhome then moved it into the house when we got back off the road. (C-19 quagmire of quaranteening, etc) Any help on proper crossover would be appreciated too.

20210211_160404.thumb.jpg.0efb219a5d96291fc9922d07586856f2.jpg

(Unplugged sub cable for photo)

Ceiling is half vault. I intend to install atmos speakers then use the Yamaha YAPD mic and see if that can obtain correct aspect for difference in height of atmos speakers.

If not then I guess I get to rip out more sheet rock :)

The Yamaha has 2 pre-amp outs - front and sub. (That's in addition to the outputs for sub 1 and sub 2)

TSR7850r.jpg

The gain on the sub is too high.  It's usually recommended to be around 11-12 o'clock.  Set the crossover on the sub itself as high as it can go, then set it around 80Hz in your receiver. 

If you connect all the speakers you list you won't be able to bi-amp as you'll be using all the available channels for your other speakers. 

With the front L&R pre-outs you could always get an external amp but like I said before, get it all set up first and see how everything sounds. 

Speaker Choices look good to me (side surrounds more important than rear and atmos/ceiling).  I'm assuming screen will be on short wall?  One piece of (humble) advice before you cut holes.  Make sure you are certain about seating position first.  Since you are even talking about having rear surrounds, then I'm assuming the seating position is away from rear wall (good), but how much?  In similar situation, I opted for 5.1.4, that is 4 ceiling speakers and surround sides only, not rear.  That said, I've wondered on 5.1.4 vs 7.1.2, but I really did not have a choice.

Unfortunately short wall has a window in the middle and tall wall has entry door on one side and closet door on the other side. That is the narrow part of the room. So I have to put monitor speakers etc on uneven walls. It's a bit awkward, but having given much thought to modifying the ceiling and moving doors and blocking out the window I guess I am left with this configuration which my not be the most acoustically beneficial configuration but is the least of a PITA.

Yes I will only have one row of seats so plenty of room on rear wall.

Thanks!

Theater wall front.jpg

My Theater Specs.html