Can I refinish my Black Ashe to something else?

Diggs

Not much of a do-it-yourself kinda guy when it comes to wood and things related, but I was wondering if I could somehow get my Black KG-4's to resemble my clear oak KG 1.2's? They're a little dinged up (well, a lot) and I would like them to match my other speakers. I've got the time and determination, and since they aren't Klipschorns or worth more than $150, I won't feel bad if they didn't turn out right. I figure I would have to sand it down and stain it, but will it look similar to the clear oak ones or should I just forget it and refinish it in black? Would vaneering be better? I can just picture it peeling off because I did something wrong, lol. Any help would be appreciated.

A better idea might be to buy a set of oak KG4's (maybe with blown parts, so they're cheap?), and salvage the parts from yours as spares. You can't buy the original replacement woofers (K-8-K) anymore. Trying to get them to look like oak would be impossible, at best.

fini

If the finish is like a LaScala it is only about an 1/8in thick. I got some water damage on one (from a plant) a while back. I tried sanding it out and went right through. There is however a great wood product, self adhesive real wood laminate. It goes on quick, trims with a file and stainable too. I found it at a specialty lumber and hardware store. I did such a great job I can't tell which one is which!

Good luck!1.gif

subegt,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you re-veneered the top of one of your LaScalas? That job is a far cry from tackling a pair of speakers, including risers, ESPECIALLY for someone who claims not to be much of a DIY'er. I'm glad yours turned out great. With veneering (and all woodworking/finishing projects), preparation is the key. I'd consult professionals (NOT at the Home Depot), read a book on the subject, or do some internet research before slapping contact cement on the KG4's.

I don't know how long you've been reading this forum, but there are several accomplished woodworkers on this forum (including one who built Klipsch speakers at the factory). I doubt any of them took the time to put a 1/8" finish on their speakers...

Good luck!!

fini

Diggs - I think fini is offering to refinish them for you!! What a guy!! (LOL)

Seriously, I refinished my black Chorus speakers, and it's not that big a deal (providing you properly cover everything in sight or you'll spend several hours scrubbing the garage floor on your knees with a toothbrush, washing the walls, etc... to remove the black mist that settles there, or so I'm told.)

DD

Doug - Yeah, the things we do for our speakers. 10.gif

Fini - I live in Kansas City, a little too far from Cali. I have 2 pairs of KG-4's, one in oak and the other is black. The rest of the speakers are oak/clear oak and I just wanted all of them to look somewhat similar. It's not that big of a deal, I just figured I'd try my hand at a little refinishing since I have the time. If I were to get new cabinets, I'd rather try to find something I could pick up. It's just not worth it to ship. Thanks for the offer though.

I was given a pair of KG4's in walnut with about half of the components blown. No risers, though. I've got another pair in oak. Thought we might be able to work something out. If shipping would be too much, I guess flying me and Doug (my agent) in to KC to evaluate thr refinishing options in person would be out of the question.

fini

Fini is right. Doing an entire speaker is a big job. Yes, I am a newbie here (been reading off and on for about a year) and I love all the great info and mostly positive support. I still think laminate is a great product if you have a flat surface and straight edges. Real wood veneer laminate over MDF or Plywood is very common. The product I used did not require any messy glue, the adhesive was on the back. My job was simple, just the top surface. But the product was great. Yes! Do consult a professional and do not look for advice or products at HD.

sube