Heresy II: You were right. Placement is key but still need woofer suggestions

41 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I  bought a  brand new pair of K28  to use in Heresy 1 speakers   since I  wanted more bass ,   they are one of 2  spare sets along with the K42 Pro woofers  ,  it was @Daddy Dee   who gave me the tip almost  10 years ago ,   the K28-K does wonders in a Heresy 1-2 and 3-4   ---and by the way , these woofers are no longer easy to come by , klipsch pulled the woofer  from the H2 to H3  kits a few years ago  , and sold it separately

I have tried to contact klipsch and some company who supplies parts for them in canada...(can't remember the name, someone recommended me to try them the other week). 

Called them and they told me to email my question about woofers. Still haven't receive a response. I can imagine why.

Also tried emailing klipsch to no response for almost a month. I can imagine why.

Anyways, So I would in fact have to modify the crossover for the k-28 correct? Doubt I will find a matching pair.

I've looked into Delta pro12a, proa lfa, Crites H2's and Dayton Audio 310-8 (Interesting because of the price)

Should I be looking at resonent frequencies? Sensitivity? f11 ratings? 

From what I understand, the more sensitivity, the louder they will be correct?

1 minute ago, ummagumma-89 said:

Anyways, So I would in fact have to modify the crossover for the k-28 correct?

GENTEC is the Canadian distributor , I would stick with the k28   ------it's really good , and it's Made By Klipsch for the Heresy  2-3-4   ,  like I said earlier , a lot of H II  are marked 4 ohms  on the terminal cup , you will see a tad more bass , between 5-10%   , and it might even blend perfectly    ---I would try it 1st  before doing any modifications  , plus remember that klipsch used to offer  a kit for the H II  with a new crossover , and the K28 , and the H II cabinet  is identical to the H III  -

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

GENTEC is the Canadian distributor , I would stick with the k28   ------it's really good , and it's Made By Klipsch for the Heresy  2-3-4   ,  like I said earlier , a lot of H II  are marked 4 ohms  on the terminal cup , you will see a tad more bass , between 5-10%   , and it might even blend perfectly    ---I would try it 1st  before doing any modifications  , plus remember that klipsch used to offer  a kit for the H II  with a new crossover , and the K28 , and the H II cabinet  is identical to the H III  -

I've heard it could sound boomy too. Problem 1 is it is easier to buy new than to find k-28's. My woofer is 8 0hms and bring me back to last night trying to figure out if my setup will allow the 4 ohm woofer or not. The last thing I want to do is strain my amplifier. I like to go A+B sometimes too. This is where I get lost

1 minute ago, ummagumma-89 said:

I've heard it could sound boomy too. Problem 1 is it is easier to buy new than to find k-28's. My woofer is 8 0hms and bring me back to last night trying to figure out if my setup will allow the 4 ohm woofer or not. The last thing I want to do is strain my amplifier. I like to go A+B sometimes too. This is where I get lost

I use the K28 in a Heresy 1  , and never even touched the crossover , the K28 is a K 24 with a 4 ohms voice coil

• Like 1

Just now, RandyH000 said:

I use the K28 in a Heresy 1  , and never even touched the crossover , the K28 is a K 24 with a 4 ohms voice coil

K very good. I like it. I will be considering it for sure if I can find them. Gentech hasnt answered me. Online says they are out of stock for all the original woofers I considered. 

Went back to that post and seen bob crites had mentioned that the crossover should be modified though. 

Thanks Randy, i'll be exploring this option too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

K very good. I like it. I will be considering it for sure if I can find them. Gentech hasnt answered me. Online says they are out of stock for all the original woofers I considered. 

Went back to that post and seen bob crites had mentioned that the crossover should be modified though. 

Thanks Randy, i'll be exploring this option too

Read the whole link, it is short...

• Like 1

Sorry I have 2 projects at once on this thread, but i braced one tangent 500 cab and am disapointed with the sound. The hi's and mid are totally different to my ears compared to the non braced. In other words, the crisp hi's are gone. 

I did move that foam that came in there slightly higher up though. So it may be that.

I admit the bass is slightly better, but not worth losing the crispy treble.

Will continue to experiment with the foam positioning on the braced cab

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update if anyone cares:

Removed bracing from the T-500's, done with that rabbit hole.

NOW - After failed attempts to get ahold of klipsch, Gentech or anyone in Canada with help with some matching woofers for the Heresy 2's, I rolled the dice on the Dayton Audio 310-8's 12".

96 DB Sensitive, Stock recapped H2 crossovers: Going to install them the second I get home. To be honest I am a little nervous of what I am going to hear. The reason I heard of them was the super heresy mod where a guy was porting his H1's. Mine are sealed and there is no removable back plate like the H1 on the H2's.

Not sure if it was the right move, but only one way to find out.

Going to replace the torn one first and compare with the good stock k-24-k. Fingers crossed.

Should I keep the good k-24-k just in case? Or unload it on ebay? More decisions...

Dug up a spec sheet on multiple woofers klipsch made and the stock k-24-k had a sensitivity of 93 or 94 db. Hopefully they were the right move....

• Like 1

Yeah. Extremely disapointed of coarse. The stock k-24 kills the dayton bass wise. The daytons are extremely tight right now, moving them a bit with my hand. Im pretty sure i lost 10 hz of bass at the very least. 

Anyway, ill be on the lookout for a k-24 on ebay. The kevlar one, not the black ones. Soooo much better. 

Being a musician with tons of gear, ill find use for the daytons elsewhere when the time comes. For now ill leave them in and break them in. Dont want to port the damn things.

Lesson learned

28 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

Yeah. Extremely disapointed of coarse. The stock k-24 kills the dayton bass wise. The daytons are extremely tight right now, moving them a bit with my hand. Im pretty sure i lost 10 hz of bass at the very least. 

the K28K - kills the K24  bass wise and if you buy it  from klipsch parts , it should be very well priced -