SOLD: McIntosh MX-110

mdm7eb

Up for sale is my well-loved McIntosh MX-110 M series preamp-turner (serial # 170M5). Electrically, the unit is in perfect condition and meets original factor specifications. Audio Classics / Richard Modafferi restored the unit October 2015 (will provide service documentation to purchaser) and it last visited Audio Classics in October 2020 for service and received a clean bill of health. The turner works perfectly and overall tuner-preamp performance is amazing. As many probably know, Mr. Modafferi, he is a former McIntosh engineer and designed the legendary McIntosh MR77 and MR78 turners and is the GUY you want restoring a legendary McIntosh turner-preamp.

I am selling because I recently purchased a McIntosh C41 preamp from Audio Classics. I am a father of toddler and I can't maintain both a tube preamp and tube amp (I am also running a McIntosh MC240).

The unit is in average cosmetic condition as evidenced by the attached photos and is what you would expect for a piece that is 60+ years old.

Rest easy, I have the specially designed double-boxed carton specifically indented for the MX110 that I also purchased from Audio Classics that I will use for shipping or pick-up ($150 value).

Also keep in mind; any MX-110 that has not been recently refurbished will need $1000+ dollar restoration to perform up to specification.

Full disclosure, the unit has visited Audio Classics the following times:

* May 2015 -- full restoration 

* Sept. 2018 -- turner realignment 

* Dec. 2019 -- cleaning of controls due to noisy volume pot and switches

* Oct. 2020 -- repair of phono jacks and capacitors (I broke a capacitor trying to tighten the phono jacks in order to ground them and remove a hum in the phono section)  

Shipping is on the buyer (estimated at $50-75, depending on distance/location).

I am located in Washington D.C.

I am hoping for $1500 -- about the amount I have in repairs and the box.

Let me know what questions you have. If local pick-up, I have extra tubes I can toss in.

IMG-1755.jpeg

IMG-1758.jpeg

IMG-1759.jpeg

Edited by mdm7eb
  • Like 2

This is an early model MX 110M, and they were only made in 1962.  Total of approximately 6,500 units sold.  Recognizable by the central balance thumb wheel and the wide end caps.  The nice thing about the "M" series is that they had two Main outputs, which is handy.  These sound very good with high quality tubes.  The servicing done on this is a major plus.

• Like 1