HELP with Alpine head unit???

Orange Peel

I have an Alpine CDA-7949 head unit, the flagship in 2000. Over the past several months I have been having trouble with it not reading CD's, it just sits there and searches forever! Some CD's, like 2, it will actually find finally and play. What the hell is the problem? Is the laser tanked? Can I realign it? It never fails, I buy an $800 head unit and it's the first one that has troubles for me. I have had several Alpine's, and they all rock, and the most expensive one breaks.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you are trying yo play CDR's or CDRW's in the unit forget it! It won't do it, which seems odd since the unit is relatively new. If you are having trouble playing store bought CD's make sure that the angle that the CD Player is mounted in is not too steep. I bought the 7949 for it's sound quality and was very suprised it would not read CDR's, I had a top of the line Kenwood that was about 6 years old that I replaced it with that played CDR's fine, what gives. It is apparent to me that Alpine head units are certainly not what they used to be. I have pondered adding a 1214 changer just so I can play my CDR's in it. If none of the above helps you, United Radio in Syracuse, NY will service the unit for a flat rate of around $104 or so. However if the laser mechanism is kaput, it may cost more. You could always sell it as not working recoup some of your costs and buy another head unit. Let me know how things work out for you.