Is it possible to emulate a PIO capacitor with a resistor?

KT88

I have an AA Crites crossover with Sonicaps and I share the impression of some participants that the sound in the Lascala is not quite as I remember it with the original crossover. But the original Aerovox capacitors have been leaking for years and have the wrong values. (I don't want to start a discussion about the sound and the quality of the sonicaps with this thread, only about the possible changes via a resistor. It could be any polypropylene capacitor).

Can I simulate a PIO at least approximately, e.g. with a 0.5 Ohm resistor (or other values) in series to the capacitor? It would change the impedance and also turn the phase a bit. Only...the "real" ESR is known to be frequency dependent. A resistor would work the same at every frequency and therefore produce a different sound result than desired?

OK, it's a low effort experiment so I'll try it out before testing other capacitors. But maybe someone here on the forum has already tried it?

Those cans aren’t PIO, they’re Mylar film in oil. Polyester would most closely approximate their performance. Do they sound the same - I honestly don’t know (since I’ve never heard those cans in a new state). 

Mylars are inexpensive. I would go that route before experimenting. 

• Like 1

---Setzen Sie die Aerovox wieder in die Frequenzweichen ein - gut oder schlecht  ,funktionsfähig oder defekt  -

Die Magie ist zurück --Kaufen Sie Klipsch-Teile bei JEM

Viel Glück

What I find a bit crazy are the different ways of looking at things and evaluating them. One example. Let's take two markets and two target groups. One group is obsessed with the supposedly greatest sound increases through the supposedly best and most expensive replacement capacitors. They often forget whether the replacement capacitor fits the network at all when all parameters are taken into account and not just the capacitance. I have no objection to this, everyone should have fun with what they love and some people are doing it right even to care about all important parameter like overall impedance of the network. In my case it is not the desire for "sound improvement" but that I hear an imbalance with the sonicaps that can be technically explained…and or it is a matter of my taste

But on the other hand, products are judged as a whole and there is no question of urgently replacing capacitors or other items. Steve Guttenberg, for example, has made three videos about his Cornwall4. He loves this loudspeaker more than anything, he has reported sound improvements after the break-in period. He is absolutely satisfied. Steve is not at all the type to tinker with his Cornwall now. He accepts and values the product as it is.
Incidentally, this has strengthened my decision to simply order the basic Mylar capacitors. I have seen on photos that Klipsch uses exactly the same Mylar type (with corresponding capacitance values) in the Cornwall4 that are also offered as original replacements by JEM for the old Klipsch models. Why should not be good enough for me what is built into brand-new and very successful Klipsch Heritage speakers today.