Klipsch Fatiguing? & rear speaker placement

TwoWatt

Well let me start by saying that I recently put a down payment on a used set of RF-3II's. I have listened to them locally at my dealer,we were using the same receiver,etc,etc. I loved them in the store,knew I eventually wanted a pair,so I found a great deal used.

However, I only listened for maybe 15 minutes tops and this was about a year ago. I do own a quintet/sc1 setup now. However, I find the quins just dont do it for me musically. I do love em for movies.

Lately I have been browsing different forums and find a lot of people saying "they are fatiguing"

Can someone explain first what the heck they are talking about, and second if they are all FOS (figure it out)

Part 2:

Seeing as how when I get my fronts. I will have an extra set of quintets.

What I was thinking (and flames are acceptable) is to mount all 4 quintets on my back wall. I would mount them in pairs vertically, one set facing each other >-----< and one set facing forward v-----v towards the mains. For wiring the speakers, I would run jumper wires off my banana plugs to the top speakers. Would this change the ohm rating in the speakers? I don't want to fry anything. Secondly, would it sound ok??

Thanks for reading. Any tips/suggestions/flames are appreciated.....

People who don't like the "Klipsch Sound" say they are fatiguing. Too bright to them. I live to that brightness. So, FOS, to me yes. But it is their opinion and they can think whatever they want.

I would not do that. It is a weird configuration that you are talking about, maybe someone else here can help you.

What receiver do you have? Some have "effects" channels where you could put the quintets up high in the front as effects speakers and use the others as rears. Not really sure how Reference and Synergy speakers match up, hopefully it will work out for you.

The Quintets, the entire Synergy line, are great for movies, but they do lack in the music department, I agree. The Reference line however, they really show off in music, especially Jazz. All Klipsch speakers seem to shine with Jazz. Can't wait for the movie Chicago to be released on to DVD, get the awesomeness of their movie performance and their superb jazziness.

Yeah. I figure they were talking about the so called "brightness" of the speaker. I for one have never heard a speaker sound more accurate. Everything was there, the highs,mids,lows. Perfect. I just want to know what "fatiguing" feels like :D

As far as the receiver, its an entry level Denon 1602. Nothing fancy. I doubt it can do anything more than whats its doing now.

Secondly, I still think I am going to try the 4 surround setup. :) Whats the most I can lose other than 2 holes in the walls. I figure I will run a series just like I did with my bass shakers.

Just checked though.....

Quintets: Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Would this put a 16 ohm load on my receiver? I take it thats a bad thing? :)

I see if I run a parallel connection (however you do that, cant tell by the picture in my shaker manual) Would it decrease the ohms to 8 for both speakers?

Its late, Im bored. Need to goto bed. Work tommorow.

Thanks for the help.

TW - Only you can judge if the sound of the 4 Quintets in the rear of the room will sound good to you.

As far as the impedance goes, you will be safer wiring them in series than parallel, as series raises the impedance as you mentioned, but that presents less of an amp load as the impedance goes higher. If you put them in parallel, you'd half the impedance down to 4 ohms. I suspect that the Denon could handle the 4 ohm load with no problem, but you best check the owner's manual to be sure. That's why the safe thing would be to hook them in series.

DD

Ear fatigue occurs when you have had enough of a high volume sound. It is in the realm of physco-acoustics,which is an amazing topic that I've never seen discussed here before.I feel that folks who are used to soft dome tweeters find the honest sound of horns too bright. Looks like your jackO'lantern has had enough ear fatigue! LOL!

First, Thanks for the replies.

Second, I don't think fatigue will be a factor. I live in an apartment, and I tend to keep the levels low (most of the time)

I was curious, would ear fatigue cause vomiting/fainting/death??9.gif

I know klipsch rocks....but kills? lol... ok. anyways.....

Part 2: I am still confused about wiring my for quintets. DD said to run in a series, being an 8 ohm speaker, will this up the ohms to 16? I take it its better to have higher than lower ohms? I need to read up on this so hopefully I can answer my own question. But input is helpful =)

Thanks again.