Ref series/ which ones?

drptpcpe

Hi,

New to this forum. I am looking to switch to Klipsch for my H/T in an attempt to gain maximum dynamics. I will be using a Sony 4es receiver. ( for you Sony haters its a great piece of equipment. It will push my psb stratus silver i's well above 100 db). I really like my Psb's but am looking for a little more forward midrange. I enjoy listening to acoustic guitar and female voice. I have been considering a setup to match the listening room I was in. Two rf-7 for front, a rc7 center and two rb5's,maybe the rs7's. Another alternative would be four rf-3ll's and the rc3 center. Someone on another forum suggested five rc7's. I have an infinite baffle subwoofer that plays flat to 14hz so the low bass is covered. I also do not have the room for four rf-7's so forget that suggestion. Anyone with ideas or input to help? I thought the rb5's were a little laid back,but I considered four of them.How about sound quality differences?

thanks for any input.

andy

Andy-

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure that Klipsch would be the way to go (Ekkk, I just typed that???) The dynamics are definately there, but the forward midrange could be a bit iffy on the RF series. Due to the horn design and cross-overs, most of the crisp dynamics are above 2k Hz, while the midrange is pushed by the 8" or 10" cones. As compared to the high frequency, the midrange is not nearly as dynamic nor is it strongly emphasized. HOWEVER, It really depends on the recording, some CDs make you long for any midrange and others are very rich recordings.

Having said that, I mainly use my RF-3s for classical music listening (and some movies) and I love them! Would I get the RF-7s if price wasn't an issue??? YES! To my ears they have a more natural sounding horn and a bit fuller midrange. But, Klipsch are not for everyone, so take your favorite recordings and go to a dealer and listen for yourself. But one suggestion, if they don't carry Sony bring yours in so you can listen to the Klipsch with the sony!

Good Luck!

-Dave

Andy,

Welcome to the forum!!!

DrPyro is correct about the mid-range. The RF-7 frequency response curve is down between 1 and 2 kHz in independent tests. However, they are definitely worth a listen with your favorite music and movies.

Response between 40 Hz and 1000 Hz is excellent on the RF-7s. A subwoofer is not required, but is a nice option.

The RC-7 is an excellent center channel. It fills in the gap between 1 and 2 kHz. I suspect that the system was designed that way to enhance dialog clarity. Hence, you should listen with the center channel if at all possible.

I am very pleased with my system. I use it primarilly for movies and TV. Music is secondary for me.

Bill

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have considered a seperate two channel system with the Klipsch mainly for movies, but space is a factor in having two sets of front speakers. On my Psb silver i's I actually found myself adjusting the midrange eq to attenuate the 1.2 khz range, to my liking. Maybe I am slightly deaf in that range. I think it is the same frequency as my wifes voice! I can do the rf7 in the front and either the rs7 or rb5 in the rear. I dont really have room for side surrounds and back surrounds. I guess if I was to do the rf3 I would do four of them plus the center. What do you guys think of the idea of five rc-7s? I was told to turn the horn sideways for an upright position and use stands. How are they for music? Or are they more voiced for dialogue?

As always, thanks for your help.

andy

You can see by the list of my equipment below that I have purchased a system very similar to what you are considering. My listening room is approx 17 X 10, and I use the RC-3 and RF-3 up fromt, and the RB-5 for the rear. One of these days I will build a 2 channel system around my RB-5's, but that'll be much later. However, for now, I think I get great results for HT and 2 channel listening.

If money is not an object, and the listening room supports it, I might buy up to the RF-5's, but the benefit there will be for 2 channel music enjoyment rather then HT. The RF-5 is smoother, but would also be more revealing of any deficiencies in upstream electronics. Possibly your dealer would let you bring in your Sony to audition with the Klipsch speakers your have under consideration, to help you make your choice.

FMIW, I am quite happy with my Rf-3's, and don't plan on parting with them any time soon!

After reading all your posts and all the well informed responses from our Klipsch family I think that the RF-5 would be most suited to your needs. I own RF-7s and RF-5s. The RF-5 is a fine speaker. Maybe fuller than the RF-7 in some cases. I agree with everything Bill said about the RF-7s lower response between 1 and 2 kHz. The 7s are big. Dont forget that with Klipsch if its in your system you will hear it all. So take in consideration how your Sony will sound pushing these babies. No offense intended. Sometimes , depending on your room and other gear, bigger is not always better. I would buy both speakers again .Good luck and take your time.

Hey drptpcpe,

That is going to be a great combination(at least I hope so)! My setup will be very similar to yours, except that I will only have a 5.1 system, not a 7.1 system. I listen primarily to music(60/40), so that's why I went with the RB5's in the rear. Good luck with your system.... I can't wait till I get my RC7. 1.gif