Ambient lighting for home theater viewing

Music_Smurf

I can't quite tell if the question is serious. Diffused candle light?

I'd think that HT is best viewed without the lights off.

But seriously. Indirect lighting for the room is the most atmospheric if you have to illuminate the whole room. I have some Holmes brand floor standing lamps which fire the light to the ceiling and upper area of the walls. These work well because there is no hot spot to mess up night vision. Of course you can appreciate that the worst you can do in any lighting situation is a bare bulb.

On the other hand, you might need some lighting on specific areas of the amps, DVD player, the DVD library. So there you need some low level or dimmable spot type lamps. Again, nothing stabbing you in the eye. They have to be directed at what you want to see, and not at your eye.

Gil

----------------

On 12/17/2002 9:39:21 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

They have to be directed at what you want to see, and not at your eye.

Gil
----------------

Actually, I prefer lights to be aimed at something like a white or soft colored board and then bounce onto the object wanting to be viewed. The board or wall or shelf above the object etc works to diffuse the light to soften it and also helps relieve glares. That is just my opinion on the matter hence the lighting we put in our home theater, lights that shine up toward the ceiling that reflect from the ceiling back down to the sitting area.

this is not always possible, but is my lighting of choice :)

It is often recommended to use a dim light behind your TV/monitor, to reduce eye strain that comes from the big swings in brightness when watching in a dark room. There is actually a light made just for this, and it puts out 6500 degree light - neutral. It only runs about $50.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

More info on room lighting:

http://www.getplugged.com/learn/GPLEARNSUBTOPICS_193409.html