Martin Logan Ascents

Arkitekto

With an impedance dip that low, only the very best amplifiers will drive those loudspeakers to their true potential. Otherwise they wont wake up and start wonderful. Electrostatic amplifiers love power. Think about amplifiers costing several times the price of the loudspeaker as a good match. Do not buy anything without seeing how it is rated at 4 ohms, even better yet, how is rated at 2-ohms (most amplifiers are not). A really good amplifier, which you need, will double its power into the lower rating. This mean it has great control over the impedance dips. It should be something like 100 watts into 8-ohms and 200 watts into 4 ohms. Think Krell or Pass, if the Klipsch amplifiers dont do it for you (dont know why they should, since Klipsch horns present an easy, but crtical laod for amplifiers, except quality is quality).2.gif

Consider this:

With the MartinLogan Prodigys, the big Bryston made the MLs' ForceForward woofers blossom and become forceful and taut, while expanding their dynamic range.

The 14B-SST's sonic character ranged from polite to powerful, but no simple profile emerged. In some instances, I loved what I heard; in others, I wasn't certain. Then I hooked up the Quad ESL-989s, which arrived near the end of my listening sessions.

The 14B-SST and ESL-989s made a wonderful combination. The amp brought out the electrostatics' bass response, opened up the midrange, and delivered some of the most translucent, effortless highs I've heard in a long time. My notes: "This is a bridged circuit? The sonics aren't supposed to be this lovely, distortionless, clear, and neutral." The bass was outstanding. Whether driving the Quads or a purely dynamic system, the 14B-SST rendered fast, solid bass notes with great pitch definition. This was evident playing Stravinsky's Firebird Suite (tracks 3, 5, 7) and The Rite of Spring (tracks 21-24) from Eiji Oue's recording with Minnesota Orchestra (Reference RR-70CD). The bass whack at the end of track 7 shook the room before it shut off one of the Quads for 30 seconds, and forced me to back off the volume.

Bryston 14B-SST power amplifier

Larry Greenhill, November 2002

http://www.stereophile.com/printarchives.cgi?725