Not Original tweeter drivers in my CF4's

nmorris43

Ok everyone.... I was listening to my ,new to me, CF4's and i was not hearing what most CF4 owners say is very good sound reproduction. So, i decided after emailing with Mike Crite, to send the crossovers to him to rebuild. I proceeded to open up the CF4's and found that my tweeters do not have the K-63-KN drivers on them (see pics). No wonder the sound was way off from what i would expect them to have. I know that original K-63-KN drivers are almost impossible to find.I have heard that Electro Voice DH1506 drivers work well in this situation. Does anyone have any experience with those EV drivers? Or does anyone have any other suggestions to create suitable audio output? I plan on keeping these CF4's if i can get the sound to meet their potential so being "all original" is not a huge issue for me understanding the driver availability issue.

Thanks for any help,

Neal

Tweeter 5A.jpg

Tweeter 4A.jpg

Tweeter 3A.jpg

Tweeter 2A.jpg

Tweeter 1A.jpg

3 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Wow yikes! Sorry, that's a cheap piezo tweeter where your stock driver should be. Can you contact the seller?

I have talked with him. He found them and turned them pretty quickly. I don't think he knew what the drivers were. I also didn't pay full value knowing I might need to do some upgrades. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Check with Crites meanwhile.

He may know a source. Crites know Klipsch well.

I have been emailing with Mike Crite about this situation. I am going to send him the crossovers to put back to original specs and replace the drivers with DH1506.

Does anyone have any feedback about that approach?

• Like 1

Just now, nmorris43 said:

I have been emailing with Mike Crite about this situation. I am going to send him the crossovers to put back to original specs and replace the drivers with DH1506.

Does anyone have any feedback about that approach?

Sorry you did not get many or much response on the Epic thread. Would do a read on the last 10 or so pages on that thread. There was even a bit about the C-2 horn driver as being a close fit, etc...

Cannot recall the date.

Also a search using the forums search using the EV driver model should yield results.

Just now, billybob said:

Sorry you did not get many or much response on the Epic thread. Would do a read on the last 10 or so pages on that thread. There was even a bit about the C-2 horn driver as being a close fit, etc...

Cannot recall the date specifics.

Also a search using the forums search using the EV driver model should yield results.