damn! Damn! DAMN!

skonopa

Well, I was home that friday after Thanksgiving. While eating some lunch I hear a knock on the door. It was a FedEx guy delivering a package - My new ski boots!! Yippee. After he left, I closed the door (that front door is pretty heavy and closes pretty hard). I just turned around and suddenly - CRASH!. My damn left side RS-7 surround speaker fell of the friggan wall!! There it was, laying nose down on the floor! I must have yelled every word in the book (and I am willing to bet that FedEx guy was wondering what the hell that noise was - I am pretty sure he heard it through the door as he was walking back down the path to his truck).

The damage done? The speaker wire yanked out of the binding post during the fall. Not only that, it hit my Infinity RS2000.5 tower on the way down, putting a dent on the corner of the tower. Worst yet, the RS-7 landed with a corner into the heating/air vent grill, tearing a good chunk of MDF out of the corner of the RS-7, as well as bending the hell out of my air vent grill (at least I was able to pound that back in shape with a hammer). Fortunatly, the cabinet did not crack and enough of the corner remains that is did not create an air leak in the cabinet. Also, non of the speaker drivers nor the speaker grill was damaged (very lucky). I did hook the speaker back up and it still thankfully works.

Anyway, I tried taking it back to Tweeters and see what they could do and if the warrenty would cover something like that (and yes, I followed all recommended mounting procedures in the users manual). They called their Klipsch representative and despite everything they tried to do, he said there was nothing he could do. My question is he correct that I am pretty much stuck? I may try calling Klipsch myself and see what they say. I would be happy just to get a new cabinet and move the parts in my current speaker over. I guess if all else fails, I'll have to perform some "reconstructive surgery" on the speaker. I still have the piece of MDF that came off. I'll just use my trusty old hot glue gun and reattach the piece.

Also to add - I went and got a couple of 24"x10" shelves and mounting brackets. I remounted both of my RS-7s using the shelves, which are rated something like 80 pounds. Hopefully no more unpleasant surprises like that one 6.gif!

It is a pretty good size chunck that was taken out. I ought to snap a picture and stick it up here for all to enjoy. Anyway, that does give me an idea. I'll reattach the piece that broke off and then fill in any gaps with wood filler that may remain and repaint it black.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope Klipsch gives you some assistance.

I didn't like that "screw in the wall" mounting idea from the start.

From the Container Store, I purchased two 12"x24"x3/4"h white melamine shelves and two sets of 9"x9"h natural hardwood shelf brackets. After the electrician installed in-wall speaker cable with wall plates, I installed the shelving and mounted the speakers on the shelves, using square bumper feet under the speakers to reduce vibration. So far so good with maximum support.

I'm submitting this info to assist you and other members of the forum who wish to install RS 7s using this shelving idea

which is very stable.

Huhuru10.gif

My System

Klipsch KLF 20s

Klipsch KLF C-7

Klipsch RS-7s Surrounds

Sub SVS SV20-39PCi

Receiver Yamaha RX-V3300

TV Mitsubishi CS 40509 40 Tube

DVD Sony S560

VCR Toshiba M-65

FM Antenna Terk Pro 50

Wish List:

Pioneer DV-45A, SACD/DVD Audio Player

Skonopa : I have repaired a damaged cervin vega cabinet before, that was coated with a textured black finish. A good sized chunk was broken off. I mixed up some fast setting five minute epoxy ( lepage I think ) and applied it with a piece of wood to the back of the broken piece, then held it in place until it started to set - good as new ! The epoxy is clear, wood putty is not. Any excess that squeezes out, carefully remove it with a new single sided razor blade. Do not use an old one ! If the blade has any nicks, it will scratch the finish. When I was done repairing the cerwin vega cabinet for my brother, you couldn't tell at all - unless you knew where it was broken and looked really close - the textured finish helps hide lots of things. Let us know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Colin asked:

Did the speaker slip off the screw heads, or did the screws come out of the wall? I'm a curious (and now concerned) RS-7 owner myself.

The wall anchors pulled completely out of the drywall. The attached pictures shows the damage to the RS-7 as well as my new solution for remounting the speakers.

I also picked up a pack of eight heavy-duty square rubber feet from the Rat Shack (Cat # 64-2342) and attached four to the bottoms of each RS-7. They help considerably to prevent the speakers from vibrating and possibly falling off the shelf.

post-3829-1381924586067_thumb.jpg