DTS-->

Femtochemistry

Hi,

I have a question (again). I have a digital cable going from my dvd to reciver, now inorder to get a DTS signal i need cables going from my dvd 5.1 out (including sub and center) going to the reciever to get a DTS signal is that right? Should i remove the digital and only have the 5.1 going to the reciver?

thanks a lot!

No, if you have the digital cable going from your DVD to A/R receiver you should be ok unless your listening to the new DTS DVD-audio. The first thing to make sure you have the inputs assigned right with your 3802 and then next have the output set right for the DVD player. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just use one digital cable(toslink or coax). If the signal is being sent from your dvd player, you only need to set the receiver to auto.

Two things I can think of:

1.) With my older Panasonic DVD player you had to go into the setup menu and turn on the DTS output.

2.)Also, some of the first generation DVD players couldn't output the DTS signal. Just look on the front of your DVD player to see if it has the DTS logo. If it does, your player is capable.

Not to be redundant, but I think Doug is right. You can't get dts from a Non-dts disc. Everybody else's points are valid, too. I had a old GE DVD player, bought my first surround sound receiver, rented a dts disc (Bone Collector), got the little warning screen (are you sure you have dts?) I confidently clicked YES!!! and got nothing but silence I could see the piano playing but couldn't hear it. I was so upset, had no idea I needed a different DVD player. Went to Target a couple days later and couldn't find a single player that DIDN'T have dts, and some for less money than I had paid for my cheap *** GE. Of course, when I bought my first DVD player I had no idea what surround sound was, much less dts14.gif

----------------

On 12/20/2002 7:01:24 AM Jimbo357 wrote:

Todd-

From my understanding, DTS was first available on the Jurassic Park DVD. If you purchased your first DVD player before then, it is likely that GE didn't offer that option.
2.gif

Jim
----------------

Jim is right,

Jurassic Park was the first movie period to have DTS, in the theater or on dvd.

Star wars episode 1 was the first to have Dolby Digital Surround EX.

EX merely added the rear surround channel.

Peace, Josh

Jurrasic park was the first theatrical release to have DTS, but it was definitely not the first DVD to have DTS. I have a magazine somewhere that tells which was the first, but I can't remember which. Anyone?? I'll try to find the mag, it had some other interesting facts, like first Dolby digital movie, first LD player with DD, first receiver, etc. Pretty cool reading.

toddvj,I found this on a couple of the many old DVD sites I go to.

November 10, 1998:

Milestone: The Legend of Mulan from DVD Ltd( Direct Video Distribution) (not the Disney version) becomes the first commercially available DVD ever to include a DTS audio track.