Format War!!!

shoe11

----------------

On 12/23/2002 4:59:57 PM Prana-Bindu wrote:

I believe both formats will fail and CD's will be replaced by a format with a smaller form-factor. The quality of the sonics won't do it; it will take miniaturization to topple the CD.

Take it easy on me, please.

----------------

I hope your wrong. I would love to see Hi Rez make it in either form. The worst case would be to have a new smaller format with reduced resolution take off. Ugh. Imagine what would happen to the LP market if that happened.

What might make it go is the "gimmick" of Multichannel. A lot of home stereos and/or people just can't hear the difference, or don't care to hear the difference so why spend the money. But if they could be sold MC they might bite. I don't mind MC as long as there is a two channel (not folded down) Hi-Rez layer.

I agree that the mass market will determine the successor to the good ol' CD. But I think that DVD-Audio and/or SACD ~will~ go mass market successfully, as soon as the digital transmission / copy management concerns of the record company scum-bags are ironed out. And I think that will be soon. We may not love the results (limited or prohibited copying), but at least we can move on to the next plateau of audio reproduction. Besides record company folks need lots of money to buy cocaine and other business essentials. 2.gif

Both formats will survive.

DVD-A will succeed in the multi-channel arena, catering to those already comfortable and exposed to 'DVD'. This technology has already been accepted by 'joe six-pack', so anything with 'DVD' in the title -- can be successfully marketed to the masses.

SACD will continure to cater to the high-end, with it's strength being superior 2-channel reproduction (no fold down).

I own the 9000es.

I recently purchased an inexpensive DVD player. I happened to find a Sony that also played SACD. I decided to go ahead and try SACD out since it didn't cost very much, even though I purchased it for the DVD function (my first ever DVD player!). I got it for $150 on clearance from Best Buy.