Upgrade SB3 speakers help

Jin78

Currently running a pair of SB3's that were my father's from back in the '90s, hooked up to Dynaco preamp and power amp. I like the way the horn loaded speakers sound in my system, but have read very favorable reviews of the newer Klipsch bookshelf products that have rolled out since then. My question is, should I go Rp 600m, or pick up a local used pair of RP160m for considerably less money? Is there a vast difference in sound quality between the two? Can anybody speak to the differences between my SB3's and any of the other choices? Thank you so much for any input!

• Moderators

Sorry I can't help with your question since I have not heard any of the Reference line of Klipsch. 

But my first Klipsch was the SB3 with SS1 for rears and SC 1 for center for Home theater. Sounded good untill we added on and with a much bigger room it did not work out as good so went bigger.

Since you do like the sound of horns you should try bigger models maby floorstanders if possable. Good luck

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jin78 said:

My question is, should I go Rp 600m, or pick up a local used pair of RP160m for considerably less money? Is there a vast difference in sound quality between the two? Can anybody speak to the differences between my SB3's and any of the other choices? Thank you so much for any input!

If you wait a bit black Friday and other such holiday sales are coming up I've seen brand new RP-600's sell for as low as $379 a pair IIRC last year I'm keeping a close eye out and will buy a pair if the price gets close to that again.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 11:03 PM, absolve2525 said:

I picked up a pair of those a couple years ago. Great speakers! I think you'd have to move up to floor standing models to get a significant upgrade. 

Thanks. Was trying to stay with boooshloves to appease my other half on this system....lol. I do think they sound pretty good, but I'm willing to bet they've made some definite improvements since then. I'm very curious on the sound quality difference between the 600s and the 160s