The BIG The Fives EQ update is finally here!!

John Bee

My new pair of Fives are arriving tomorrow.  I was so excited to hear about the Klipsch app and associated features but given the negative results referred to above I'm afraid to use the app at all?

What reassurance can Klipsch give me that its safe to use the app?

• 2 weeks later...

The speakers do not even save the EQ settings. After you have turned them off and on again, they run in the flat setting again, although the app shows it differently. Set the treble extremely high, mid and bass low and you will immediately hear that they run in the flat settings after they were turned off. 

On 1/7/2022 at 3:34 AM, Hannes said:

Hello Community, here are our experiences with the firmware update: We were very satisfied with our The Fives and installed the update only because of the equalizer function. The update worked flawlessly, no error messages. Nevertheless, we now have two problems that worsen our user experience.

1. Random popping/cracking noises comming from the speakers. Sometimes left speaker, sometimes right. Mostly when changing the input channel. Occasionally when restarting a video after a pause. (HDMI)

2. The update has rendered the volume control on top of the speaker unusable. It works, but the gradation of the volume control is now so fine that it feels like you have to spin the wheel forever before anything changes.

A factory reset and reinstallation of the firmware did not change anything.

Has anyone had the same experience and been able to fix the problem?
If not, can I find old firmware files somewhere to downgrade the speakers?

Thanks for answers
Greetings from Germany, Hannes

Same issues with the update here. 

I now have a sub thump when The Fives come out of stand-by. The random popping from the main speakers. And the constant resetting of the sub woofer level to default when the speakers come out of stand-by. The issues are consistent through all the inputs. I mainly use the Optical (TOS) link but have checked USB input, Bluetooth, and HDMI and all inputs yield similar results. None of these issues were present before the 2 step update. Is there a way to roll back to previous firmware? 

• 1 month later...

Hello Klipsch Team,

please make my The Fives great again. After performing the new firmware update with the new EQ settings, the clarity is completely gone! I cant hear any vocals on movies and tv shows anymore. Both speakers sounds muffled and just boomy. Before the update everything was so clear. Its not even fun anymore to use them and prefering the built in tv speakers from my tv....

can we hope for a fix? Or are the fives to old for getting any more updates?

• 3 weeks later...

i'd like to know if anyone here got the old firmware? i bought the fives together with R-12SWi. now my SUB is totally useless! eveything is boomy even the lowest gain setting. 

Edited by ad78

Klipsch The Fives resets the custom EQ setting once they are powered down.

If you are in the same boat as me; that you find the default sound to be muffled, boomy or warm for TV use, and thus need the custom EQ to fix it but you but don't want to adjust it every time you watch TV. Here's a possible solution.

This of course is not fundamentally ideal solution to the issue, but you do what you have to. So just disable speakers from powering off in the first place and don't turn them off. Disable HDMI ARC auto power setting in your TV, and disable Auto Power Off from the Klipsch Connect App. This way your speakers wont power off (reset the settings) unless specifically shut down or a power outage happens. And no they should not consume a lot of power when they are in standby / idle even if powered on.

Also things to try to reduce the excessive bass/boom:

1. Speaker position. Not too close to wall. This is number one reason for boomy bass and Klipsch Fives are particularly sensitive to it. 
  2. If that is not possible for you, you can also try to plugging the rear ports. This can help tremendously and maybe is the way to go if you have to place speaker very near to wall. Try different configurations, partly plugged, only a soft seal or full seal. 
  3. Extreme fix that might help some is just inserting a RCA plug to the speakers sub out, even if there isn't a sub on the other end. This will cut lowest bass frequencies entirely giving much more room for clarity on the other end.
Edited by anttielei

• 3 weeks later...

So I just recently got my Fives from Amazon.  From the majority of the comments here, I probably should not update the firmware.  

Is anyone actually liking the new firmware upgrade??  Also if there's a factory reset, why aren't the others able to go back to the previous firmware version. 

What version number is this "upgraded" one anyways?  I installed the app on my iPhone and it doesn't show any of the extra functions shown here, so I guess mine is still the factory version.  Mine shows 1.5.0

Edited by Vrooom

hello guys, 

i just notice an improvment in Mids and Highs, if i connect my fives with toshlink/optical to my TV. Before i only used the HMDI Arc input. Can somenbody else try it out? If change back to HDMI, the Mids and Highs are muffled and not as clear as the optical input. Its just like before the Firmware Upgrade, when everything was fine. Maybe the Update just bugged out the HDMI input??

FYI, from Klipsch.

Thanks for contacting Klipsch!

They may have dynamic bass mode enabled. The update added bass cut mode which is listed as night mode in the Klipsch Connect app so it matches our other products with night mode. They should be able to hold down the sub reset button and see the LED on the top of the active speaker flash 1-3 times depending on what mode it's in.

1 flash = Dynamic Bass mode
2 flashes = Flat mode (Default mode)
3 flashes = Bass cut mode

This could be the case that many folks are reporting, and not noticing which mode the speakers are set in.

Also, it is true that the firmware is not able to be rolled back.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, afwee9x said:

hello guys, 

i just notice an improvment in Mids and Highs, if i connect my fives with toshlink/optical to my TV. Before i only used the HMDI Arc input. Can somenbody else try it out? If change back to HDMI, the Mids and Highs are muffled and not as clear as the optical input. Its just like before the Firmware Upgrade, when everything was fine. Maybe the Update just bugged out the HDMI input??

For me all inputs sound just about the same. Very muffled.

I really did not listen them prior to doing firmware update, so I don't know if that had an effect. I don't know. It feels I've tried everything but even with extreme equalizer settings and cutting a lot of bass, some vocals sound just straight out strange. Dull and quiet. Like people are inside a mattress... While others might be okay. Highly dependent on how the sound is mastered. Many times I have wondered if my speakers are actually somehow faulty or broken, because the sound profile is just so amazingly weird. 

These are the oddest pair of speakers I have ever listened to and I actually have a huge buyers remorse from ever getting these. :(

Also iPhone Application is really pain in the *** to get reliably connected to the things... Every time connection rolls for good 5 seconds and then states "connection could not be made" but after the error message the connection is made...

On 5/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, Vrooom said:

FYI, from Klipsch.

Thanks for contacting Klipsch!

They may have dynamic bass mode enabled. The update added bass cut mode which is listed as night mode in the Klipsch Connect app so it matches our other products with night mode. They should be able to hold down the sub reset button and see the LED on the top of the active speaker flash 1-3 times depending on what mode it's in.

1 flash = Dynamic Bass mode
2 flashes = Flat mode (Default mode)
3 flashes = Bass cut mode

This could be the case that many folks are reporting, and not noticing which mode the speakers are set in.

Also, it is true that the firmware is not able to be rolled back.

With the latest firmware you should not have 3 modes. They removed that feature (well, left it to only 2 modes) because they have added EQ, which you can set from the Klipsch connect app. The only problem is that currently the settings are not saving and you have to readjust them every time you turn them on.

I have not the "reset settings" bug, I have the 1.6.9 firmware version. But I feel this speakers have a very muffed, I have these app EQ settings: (Bass 0, Mid, +3, Treble +2) and it improved a bit the sound but insuficient, any tip please? I want a more envolving and impressive sound typical of a 900€ pair speakers.

Edited by Ghen

On 5/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, afwee9x said:

hello guys, 

I tried it and I don't know if it is placebo or not but I now I feel more difference between the mid and the highs, like with 2 different planes, wtf? Is Klipsch informed of that? I bought the Fives for their eARC connection...

EDIT: After playing BF2042, listen music and watch some movie scenes, I can confirm there are sound differences between HDMI Arc and toshlink, wirh toshlink the sound is more "open", has more 3D effects and has more "air" because the mids and highs are highly improved. With HDMI Arc the sound is more plane, less 3D effects, feels a very muffed and without personality.

Edited by Ghen

On 5/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, Ghen said:

I tried it and I don't know if it is placebo or not but I now I feel more difference between the mid and the highs, like with 2 different planes, wtf? Is Klipsch informed of that? I bought the Fives for their eARC connection...

EDIT: After playing BF2042, listen music and watch some movie scenes, I can confirm there are sound differences between HDMI Arc and toshlink, wirh toshlink the sound is more "open", has more 3D effects and has more "air" because the mids and highs are highly improved. With HDMI Arc the sound is more plane, less 3D effects, feels a very muffed and without personality.

Yes, das exactly what i noticed too. I dont think Klipsch is informed by that, that the HDMI Arc input is somehow false and the optical in sounds much wider and clear!

14 hours ago, afwee9x said:

Yes, das exactly what i noticed too. I dont think Klipsch is informed by that, that the HDMI Arc input is somehow false and the optical in sounds much wider and clear!

Any Klipsch engineer read their own forum? They must release an update to fix that.

6 hours ago, Vrooom said:

Guys, these issues only happened after upgrading your firmware?  coz mine is still stock (1.5.0) and I've been holding it off coz of all these postings.

dont upgrade the firmware , if all is ok