Academy on Ebay

NOZ

I'm glad I gave up also. $550 plus shipping is just to much unless it was brand new. The seller described it as having "no major scratches" whatever that means. Apparently the competition for the Academy is getting a little too fierce. I have room in my custom cabinet to put a Heresy under my TV and maybe that would be even better. I think I could even stuff two Heresy's in there. Wonder how that would work with my Forte'II mains?

SF - While auditioning various speakers for a suitable center match for my Chorus I's, I compared a Forte and a Heresy as options for center speakers. I found them to be quite close to each other, and to the Chorus, but the Forte was just that much closer to the Chorus which is why I went with a Forte for a center. Based on that experience, I'd say that they Heresy would certainly be worth trying as a center for your Forte's.

I just can't get behind paying these astronomical sums for an Academy. So, in my little way, I'm rebelling by not bidding on them...

DD

There is a decent looking pair of "Hersey HOL" speakers on ebay right now with a BIN of $350 + $45 to ship. The Item # 1948227628. Link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=1948227628&rd=1

They seem decent, maybe a little scratched.

A forum member (deang) has a really nice set for $450, just look in the 2-channel forum.

Chris

WOW! $550 plus shipping... amazing. I was a bit tentative picking a mint Walnut Academy for $300 shipping included from Houston to San Francisco. With less than $400 into a PAIR of KLF-C7's for front effects speakers. I have to admit that the Academy matches up with Heritage speakers a whole lot better than a C7 will by actual A/B tests.

I use the Academy as a rear effects speaker between Cornwall side/surrounds and it does a respectable multichannel audio job for the moment. Of course, with a pair of Khorns with a Belle in the middle of the front array... I anticipate that one day the Cornwalls and Academy will fall to an all LaScala, Belle or K-Horn rear array. Only time and a superb buying opportunity will tell.

All that aside, much of the lauditory tribute directed toward the Academy is well deserved IMHO. It is the smallest speaker to be "voiced" in a manner agreeable with the Heritage sound... particularly when used in a less critical role in a rear array. I suspect that even so bizzare a set up as five Academys with a Klipschorn or LaScala center (plus an "adequate" sub system) would make a better HT... considering over 3/4ths of the total sound comes through the center channel.

But, given the current prices, it looks like that experiment will fall about four Academys short in my listening area. =HornEd

• 4 years later...