Velodyne SPL1200 for HT

PHIL O

The Velo SPL1200 is a viable option if one is looking for a very small, compact subwoofer. I did audition the unit, and I was impressed - for it's size. There are better units out there - the Sunfires are the kings of the microsubs (better quantity and quality of output, but a bit more costly), and better output can be had if you can put up with a larger unit (Paradigm PW 2200, HSU VTF3, SVS CS+, and Klipsch RSW12 are all good choices for roughly the same price as the Velo in question).

It also depends on your usage. If you have a larger room, or like to turn up the volume more, you might want to look at something with more output. For a smaller room with lower volume listening preferences, the Velo would work out well. It is my opinion that the Velo is a better music sub as opposed to HT, but as I say, it would work well for more "moderate" listening habits - in either HT or music. If you are looking to "shake it up" in a big way, I would look elsewhere.

Phil,

What are you trying to accomplish?

Deep bass extension for movies?

Punchy tight bass for music?

Seamless integration with the mains?

Using the high pass and low pass, or just the low pass?

Think about your room size, placement, and how loud you are likely to play it.

Yes the SUnfire Signature.Has more power then the SPL 1200 and competes with large SVS or HSU subs.All in the same space limitations as the SPL1200.In other words it whoops the SPL1200.

Down to 30Hz the Sunfire Signature is a force of nature(117dB as tested by Secters of High Fidelity,me I get 116dB in my smaller room),and its still quite potent at 25Hz!Its does about 100dB at 20Hz.

The Sunfire Signature can keep up even with K-Horns up to sickening output levels.And two pound out a hurricane even in large rooms.Unless you must go deaf and pass out from high SPL. 3.gif