Chorus II needs saving

Bendak

Hello everybody just joined the club by getting some amazing chorus ii’s for a great deal, currently im driving them with a sansui AU-217 the only issue is these speakers havent been touched since the mid 90’s and ive got no sound coming out of the tweeters, please tell me where to start. Im assuming i should check out the capacitors on the cross overs, i see a lot of people on here talking about bob crite’s cross overs, any help is greatly appreciated as i am pretty new to the whole audiophile thing. Thanks!!

• Like 1

before messing with xovers/caps,  pull the tweeters & check ohms reading with a meter.  if blown you can buy new diaphragms of either stock type or upgrade to the titanium from crites. 

caps can be changed for very low cost if you can solder, very easy to do on chorus & others from this era.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

before messing with xovers/caps,  pull the tweeters & check ohms reading with a meter.  if blown you can buy new diaphragms of either stock type or upgrade to the titanium from crites. 

caps can be changed for very low cost if you can solder, very easy to do on chorus & others from this era.  

What should the resistance be through the tweeters? If they are toast is there any place you can recommend to find the original diaphragms? Ive heard mixed reviews on the crites ones

4 hours ago, Bendak said:

What should the resistance be through the tweeters? If they are toast is there any place you can recommend to find the original diaphragms? Ive heard mixed reviews on the crites ones

i get right around 8.7ohms on the tweeters in my forte2 & chorus2, give or take a couple tenths. fortes should be the same as far as i know but maybe other members can confirm that if they have a forte tweeter handy. 

i cant say for sure on the originals, maybe klipsch still carries them, will have to call or email them. some other companies sell repro diaphragms like simply speakers.  there are mixed reviews on the titaniums but for the most part they get very positive reviews, i use a set in my chorus 2 & they seem to be an improvement, especially at higher volumes. can alwyas look for used originals, they pop up for sale here occasionally. 

could be loose wire connection or issue with the crossover like something physically broken or came loose.  check the tweeters with an ohm meter & the x-over & wire connections before just assuming the tweeters are bad.  they very well could be blown but worth checking, there was just a recent thread on here with a non working tweeter that ended up being a connection came loose... also a cf3 with a broken part of the crossover.  

On 2/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, pcbiz said:

It's probably the crossover. I had a similar problem with mine. If you want/need to upgrade the tweeters, use Dave A's LMAHL V2 tweeters. They're much better than the titanium upgrade.

Large Machined Audio Horn Lens, I have those in my Chorus II, found them to be a super upgrade.

• Like 1