Parasound HCA 1201A monoblocks

Orbit

11 hours ago, Orbit said:

I am left wondering what a preamp could do to enhance the sound. 

Glad to hear you got things sorted out! When I first started out in this hobby I was using a low end HK AVR as a pre-amp and ran through a ton of different amplifiers trying to find that sound I wanted from my Chorus II's. When I started getting into Sunfire gear a Theater Grand IV dropped into my lap at a good price that was my first pre pro and man what an eye opener that was! Funny after all of these years and dozens of pre-amps later I'm back with a Sunfire TG-IV I think its one of the best bang for your buck pre's on the used market for stereo listening for sound quality and basic features. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Cool...

It was a great experience on top of the acquisition.  Very nice retired engineer that spent his time restoring large 1930s Zenith radios.  He had a top notch HAM station in the room.  

His listening station was something to aspire to.  Home made speakers with McIntosh pre/cd player and power.  His turntable was a dark ebony English make with a very distinct shape. 

Quadratic diffusers and Helmholtz resonators lines the room with absorption panels.  All of the treatment was made in his shop.

I should have taken a few photos.

I appreciate your encouragement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

I have a Forte model II Class A preamp that I got in a trade, I was surprised at how good it sounded especially the phono section. I am currently happy with my all tube system and will most likely get rid of the Forte model II. If you decide on getting a preamp let me know and I'll sell it cheap, it would be a good match with the Parasound amps.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-forte-model-2-preamplifier

I will take you up on this.  I do need a good phono.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orbit said:

It was a great experience on top of the acquisition.  Very nice retired engineer that spent his time restoring large 1930s Zenith radios.  He had a top notch HAM station in the room.  

His listening station was something to aspire to.  Home made speakers with McIntosh pre/cd player and power.  His turntable was a dark ebony English make with a very distinct shape. 

Quadratic diffusers and Helmholtz resonators lines the room with absorption panels.  All of the treatment was made in his shop.

I should have taken a few photos.

I appreciate your encouragement.

Reminds me of meeting members here at their home and a couple of buys and sells.

You never know.

Thinking good deal. Hope so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Reminds me of meeting members here at their home and a couple of buys and sells.

You never know.

Thinking good deal. Hope so...

It sounds great right now.  At worst this has been an inexpensive way to experience the monoblock feel.  

• Like 1