2.1 hissing, static, HELP!

I just got my 2.1 about 2 days ago and i cannot get rid of this louds, constant, background hissing. also, i just got a microsoft intellieye optical mouse and every time i move it it causes a sort of popping in the speakers. without the mouse , though, i still have this constant, loud hiss...it even can be heard over my music! HELP!

-Will-

did this happen with yer old speakers? if not then it might be somthing with the connections. or possibly the speakers themselves. I dunno. I had the same prob, then changed out my sound card and it was perfect. reseat the sound card, unplug, check, then replug all the cables. if there is still the hissing then contact tech support

Torinalth

------------------

if at first you don't succede, try again. if at second you don't succede, get an axe

the hiss is ripple from the voltage step down trasformer in the sub,it usually happens if there is no regulator ,or if it has gone bad. Replacing the capcitor with a larger one should solve the problem.

Send it to klipsch and they'll just do that for you wink.gif

well, i figured out that if i turn the speaker volume nearly all of the way down, and then use only the winamp volume to control my music volume, then the hiss goes away. I take it that means that the problem IS in fact my speakers, though. The only thing is that with that method, my CD's can barely be heard. I certainly didn't buy 2.1's so that I could finally not hear my cd's. Luckily I bought these at CompUSA, which is prob the smartest thing i have done in my life. I have a feelling that the wires from the speakers are picking up static from all of the interference/power cords that surround my computer. Would replacing the speaker cable w/ monster cable like I have heard some people doing, eliminate that problem? Is it hard to do? thx forr all of your help! -Will-

Actually, from what you are telling us, I would suspect the sound card. What kind of sound card is it?

These speakers often reveal problems with sound cards; problems that would have been masked with other multimedia speakers.

-djf

actually, it's the soundcard that came with my HP pavilion xt846

it says this :

Compatibility

3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit Sound

Controller

AMC97 codec (on motherboard)

Crystal Sound Chip

Noise Cancellation

Yes

Line Out

Yes

3-D Spatializer

Yes

Wavetable

Yes

Tone Control

No

---------

thats all i could find. come to think of it, i tried these on another PC that had a S Live card in it, and there was no hissing...at least not that i noticed. What would be a good, economical, entry level sound card that would eliminate this hiss? about how much would it cost me?

------------------

whavid.gif

I agree with Dan,I would get a new sound card and the best one you can afford at that.

Also try setting "wave" to about half way and the "treble" to 50 to 75%, keep trying different settings till you find a better one, also turn off DFX for winamp if you got it, try the eq on or off too and see what gives you the better results. But, bottom line get a good sound card. If all of the above fails,then it would be an actual speaker problem, and your new card wont go to waste either way! smile.gif

good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by fatathaland:

actually, it's the soundcard that came with my HP pavilion xt846

it says this :

Compatibility

3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit Sound

Controller

AMC97 codec (on motherboard)

Crystal Sound Chip

Noise Cancellation

Yes

Line Out

Yes

3-D Spatializer

Yes

Wavetable

Yes

Tone Control

No

---------

thats all i could find. come to think of it, i tried these on another PC that had a S Live card in it, and there was no hissing...at least not that i noticed. What would be a good, economical, entry level sound card that would eliminate this hiss? about how much would it cost me?

Creative makes a nice card for about 30 bucks. It's called the PCI 128. It's going to be better than the on-board card. You may have a little hassle with defeating the on-board card, though. Do you have the HP manual?

You could also look for stuff from Turtle Beach or pick up a closeout Aureal card in the spare parts bin.

I dont really know what a good sound card is, and what's not. I went to the SB website and started thinking I was gonna have to pay 200 bucks to get good sound. I saw the SB Live!Value, but since it had the word 'value', I automatically assumed it sucked. Does anyone even know if HP's can get sound cards upgraded? I guess I will check my tower rght now to see if there is a slot.

------------------

whavid.gif

quote:

I saw the SB Live!Value, but since it had the word 'value', I automatically assumed it sucked.

I don't agree with that. It is names Value because it only provides 4 (analog )channels and doesn't have any didgital plug,and because it doesn't come with any software, other than that it is the same exact card on the same exact chip!

Yeah.. there is not much difference from the value to the Live 5.1 except for 6 channel support and Dolby Digital decoding. I would have to say that the Live cards are going to give the same sound since the chips are the same and they are all upgradeable.

Fatathaland: You can get the SBLive 5.1 for less than $80. The sbLive Value card is also a great one for the price - most people still use it

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

Well. I have just decided that since I am going to return my pro media 2.1's, and that since I will have to buy a new sound card anyhow, I might as well buy the 4.1's. They're only going to cost about $80 more than my 2.1's, and I was SO impressed with the 2.1's that I feel and in the long run I think I will be happier with full surround. so a couple of questions, yet gain :]. What sound card would provide me with 4 channel surround for a cheap price? Would the "SB Live! Value" do the trick? also, do any of you know what the speaker cord length on the 4.1 rear speakers would be? If i wanted to make them reach a further distance would that be possible? I would also like to thank all of you for your help so far! I must say I am definetely impressed with your knowledge on the issues! -Will-

------------------

whavid.gif