Khorns Don't Sound Right

greg928gts

HDBR,

The picture sounds good.

I re-tried the heresys. I put one set on top of the other so that the mids and tweeters were near ear level and it really helped. The only problem is that these speakers have no bass! When I switched between them and the K-horns, it sounded the same but like someone turned the mids and tweeters up too high. Watching the short throw woofers barely move made me think. I guess having a 10 foot + horn in front of the k-horns woofer really helps!

When I put "unplugged" music on, the Heresys sound fine, they just fall short when having full range music. I think that the surround system really needs the K-horns to fill it out. My subs are crossed over at 80 hz, then ran into a DBX 120 subrarmonic unit with the bass turned down and the subharmonic level up (ie the subs are only getting a synthesized signal fron 20 tp 50 hz). This leaves a gap when using the heresys that can really be heard.

Both of my sets of heresys were made before subs were easy to get. It is interesting that they were so popular (maybe most were running tubes with them)

I will try the heresys with teh HK 630 and the Scott L-48 when they arrive, but I really don't want to replace the Denon 5800 (it has video switching features that I really need)

One last note, I am guessing that the Heresys use a big short throw woofer in a sealed box to "keep up" with the horns. BUT I have built several sealed boxes with rockford fosgate long throw woofers with great results.

I guess that I could add some subs with the heresys, but the facy of the matter is that there are other speakers out there that will sound good with the Denon amp (like older JBL L series)

I will post after I hear the Heresys side by side with the JBL's on the new amps.

Chris