Lascalas - Refinish or veneer?

mingham

12 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

Also, in case you haven't done so already, get new gaskets for the squawkers, use DeoxIT liberally on all connections, and tighten the screws attaching all of the drivers to the cabinet. You might also want to apply a new gasket (weatherstripping works fine) to the doghouse access panel. If the crossovers are old you should probably replace the capacitors.

In addition the Dave's suggestions above I would add running a bead of glue on all inside joints once you are in the Woofer area. you want this air tight as possible. Another idea I did was to drill a 3/4 hole between the woofer area and the Squaker/tweeter area. I then made a single wire connection to the woofer instead of the original two piece connection, this hole was then filled with heavy industrial caulking to once again make it air tight.

As you can see there are many excellent ways to go about your project, my carpentry skills were not up to the task, so hired someone to do the project and yes it cost more than the cost of the beat up La Scala's . But my wife is happy with the results :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 12:10 AM, gigantic said:

I’ve had extremely good results using Benjamin Moore Advance hybrid alkyd/latex enamel. I restored a pair of H700 Heresy decorators with it and used it on my current speakers. It’s better sprayed than brushed or rolled. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 6:45 AM, gigantic said:

I used it for everything but the mahogany trim for the build that I detailed elsewhere. It takes about 5 days to cure, but then it is quite durable. I then clear coated it with automotive 2K poly, but it probably wasn’t absolutely necessary. 

Super helpful - thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, JMeader said:

I went the veneer route

1)    it took 3    4x8 sheets of veneer to get the grain flow right

2) I found a true wood working craftsman to do the job - best decision I made

3) the woofer bin is the most difficult, you need to get a lot of weight on each inside sheet during the glue drying process we used sand bags and a piece of train rail for weight. Because of this the bin area took 4 days alone to veneer that area. Also we first painted the very back of the bin black before veneering because we could not figure out how to veneer that space and it is already dark in that area anyway.

4) you will have to decide how you will deal with the surround edges of the tweeter and squaker area. there are a couple of ways to deal with these edges but you need to decide before you start the actual veneer process as you need to match grain flow.

5) We made paper templates for each piece and then laid them out on the 4X8 sheets for grain flow very important process

6) Would I do it again Yes my 1987 La Scala's I think were used in a bar atmosphere and were really beat up with scratches and gouges everywhere.

7) we decided to put a thin layer of MDF on all outside of the speakers this helps with the resonance issue know with this age of La Scala

Hope this helps  and as always Enjoy The Music

20210515_111020.jpg

Hi, PM sent. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, JMeader said:

I went the veneer route

1)    it took 3    4x8 sheets of veneer to get the grain flow right

2) I found a true wood working craftsman to do the job - best decision I made

3) the woofer bin is the most difficult, you need to get a lot of weight on each inside sheet during the glue drying process we used sand bags and a piece of train rail for weight. Because of this the bin area took 4 days alone to veneer that area. Also we first painted the very back of the bin black before veneering because we could not figure out how to veneer that space and it is already dark in that area anyway.

4) you will have to decide how you will deal with the surround edges of the tweeter and squaker area. there are a couple of ways to deal with these edges but you need to decide before you start the actual veneer process as you need to match grain flow.

5) We made paper templates for each piece and then laid them out on the 4X8 sheets for grain flow very important process

6) Would I do it again Yes my 1987 La Scala's I think were used in a bar atmosphere and were really beat up with scratches and gouges everywhere.

7) we decided to put a thin layer of MDF on all outside of the speakers this helps with the resonance issue know with this age of La Scala

Hope this helps  and as always Enjoy The Music

20210515_111020.jpg

What is the type of wood veneer you applied? Looks nice.