Dedicated Theater - 2 Ch Room (Acoustics)

TubesGlo

I built this room as part of an addition in 07 when I was in business designing and installing home theater systems here on Cape Cod. Until last year it was a theater room only. The screen and LCR speakers are behind the curtain. Two 12" passive subs are under the stage front firing with a 15" front firing through right side wall at listening position. Equipment rack is flush with the right side wall.

I had a dedicated 2 ch room in the finished basement but that's been reperpoused so now I'm trying to use the two systems in the same room. The space is 14ft wide x 20ft deep. The floor standing speakers are 9' 6" center to center. The listening position is 10' from the face of each with 5' behind to the back wall. The room is acoustically good and tight, no windows and one solid core entry door behind the chairs. There are minimal wall reflections and I'm changing up the acoustic treatments. I always subbed out that portion of theater builds but I'm on my own with this one. I'm planning on a simple combination of absorption and deflection panels on the side walls. No corner bass traps as of yet, surprisingly  no issues have arisen.

The 2 ch system gets the most time by far and I want to be careful not to deaden the room. I know what do do with the walls but I'm not sure I need to  bother with the ceiling  much. Now the kicker....the rack between the speakers as it protrudes into the room. The way these speakers project and disperse the sound has me experiencing no problems as currently configured. I sure don't want to cut into the stage to recess it and I don't want it off to the side. I know purists and perfectionists frown on this....but hey.

For anyone that might be reading this I'd appreciate any input or suggestions,

Thanks20220326_193012.thumb.jpg.1ffeba5e55eccf33e3280e3452bff11a.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, billybob said:

Hello, you did a good job explaining but, think better pics showing the rack that you describe as flush.

And, what exactly the problem is... thanks.

Not much of a problem, just not ideal. Two large amps at bottom of rack that I need to power cycle with switches on front panel, I can reach them. I don't want to compromise speaker position by moving them off the side walls, they sound best right where they are. The amps are each on their own power filter/surge and 20amp circuit and I may raise those up in the rack and reconfigure with auto power cycling through my Elan system controller. The 2 channel rack isn't very attractive and it does protrude a bit forward, not a big deal but the wife isn't overly thrilled with what I've done and liked the room before the big wooden noise makers got planted in here. 20220326_212520.thumb.jpg.a62c9e408037a6b645737a7e51afda7e.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve edited your pictures in an attempt to help show the details of you systems setup..

It would be helpful if you describe what audible problems your looking to improve.

How well does the 2 channel system image..?

How well does the 2 channel system currently perform in clarity and tonal balance.

miketn

E889EA04-B656-45D6-BF7F-7786A74229AF.thumb.jpeg.15f91b9ab46247a6a655b81776a4a5d5.jpeg

8C7533E9-DBAC-4499-9966-27C8834D02A8.thumb.jpeg.3133f81a6afedf23858a09bfdbe6a5b9.jpeg

Optimizing this space for both theater and 2ch has its compromises.  Most people would be using their mains for both applications and this isn't the case here. Originally I had the speakers in about a foot from the sidewalls without as much toe in.  Side wall treatments in that position would have been necessary to help with reflection, which isn't the case now. The speaker's image well with clarity and good tonal balance.  Conventional wisdom would dictate treatment for early reflection which has been taken care of behind the curtain for the theater mains.  For theater use this room likes to be a bit on the live side and that will change so I want to minimize side wall treatments. Cornwall owners seem to agree that corner placement with considerable toe in produces best results which I've found to be true with my speakers in this room. Point being (finally)..with the speakers firing towards the opposing rear corners can I expect acoustic improvements absorbing high frequency further back on those side walls? My feeling is that with toe in as is, that problem which normally exists close to the speaker pretty much doesn't exist here and I may potentially "deaden" the room.  I'm curious for  opinions from you who may have speakers set up in a similar way.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Sort of hard to criticize since not really anything sound wise anyone complaining about. 

Yes compromise yet, seems to be working for both HT and 2 channel. 

Like that you have for the most part hidden, recessed the HT units. In a dark room, cannot really see anyway. At least it would not bother me. 

Stereo rack another aesthetic that a different one could help with.

A little far out but, could move those units by your sitting position. Sometimes I get too creative so...

Please answer other members questions above as to quality of audio.

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I’ve edited your pictures in an attempt to help show the details of you systems setup..

It would be helpful if you describe what audible problems your looking to improve.

How well does the 2 channel system image..?

How well does the 2 channel system currently perform in clarity and tonal balance.

miketn

E889EA04-B656-45D6-BF7F-7786A74229AF.thumb.jpeg.15f91b9ab46247a6a655b81776a4a5d5.jpeg

8C7533E9-DBAC-4499-9966-27C8834D02A8.thumb.jpeg.3133f81a6afedf23858a09bfdbe6a5b9.jpeg

At this point with the speakers positioned as they are I really have no complaints. They do everything well. Imaging, tonal balance and clarity are excellent at all volumes. Most impressive is how dynamic and natural the presentation is, 3 dimensional and just plain "real". I've made some incremental adjustments in components including  replacing the Sonicraft crossover caps with NOS paper/foil in oil which I'll discuss in a different post. I've never toed speakers in this much or had them out this far in the corners and really not experiencing 1st reflection issues is new to me. I suppose I'm conditioned to believe absorption panels should be there in every situation which obviously isn't the case. I may experiment with a few without permanently installing them as not to place them where unnecessary.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TubesGlo said:

At this point with the speakers positioned as they are I really have no complaints. They do everything well. Imaging, tonal balance and clarity are excellent at all volumes. Most impressive is how dynamic and natural the presentation is, 3 dimensional and just plain "real".

Based on your descriptions I would suggest that you “trust your ears” and not make changes based on some preconceived ideas of how a room should be acoustically treated. The most valid and ultimate test of your system’s performance is the listening experience and it sounds like you have an excellent performing system/room.

30 minutes ago, TubesGlo said:

I've never toed speakers in this much or had them out this far in the corners and really not experiencing 1st reflection issues is new to me. I suppose I'm conditioned to believe absorption panels should be there in every situation which obviously isn't the case.

PWK noted loudspeakers having well designed controlled directivity have many advantages in reducing distortion for a given sound level along with advantages in direct versus reflective ratios as experienced at the listening position in typical home listening rooms and in your situation as described by your listening experience it sounds like the controlled directivity advantage means the use of typical absorption panels and their placement aren’t necessary in your room/setup and could actually head you in a wrong direction so proceed with caution would be my advice at this point.

miketn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Based on your descriptions I would suggest that you “trust your ears” and not make changes based on some preconceived ideas of how a room should be acoustically treated. The most valid and ultimate test of your system’s performance is the listening experience and it sounds like you have an excellent performing system/room.

PWK noted loudspeakers having well designed controlled directivity have many advantages in reducing distortion for a given sound level along with advantages in direct versus reflective ratios as experienced at the listening position in typical home listening rooms and in your situation as described by your listening experience it sounds like the controlled directivity advantage means the use of typical absorption panels and their placement aren’t necessary in your room/setup and could actually head you in a wrong direction so proceed with caution would be my advice at this point.

miketn

Thank You Sir, I appreciate your input. I do trust my ears, very much actually. These speakers have been part of my system  less than a year and I'm constantly amazed at what they're capable of. I'm very happy with the complete setup and having listened to music critically for over 40 years squeezing every bit of performance out of the systems I've owned...I'm more content now than ever.

• Like 2