<b>LCD vs. DLP</b>

Kain

For those who know about LCD projectors and DLP projectors, what are your opinions on both? If you were to buy a projector, would it be LCD or DLP?

I know the advantages and disadvantages of both but I would like your opinions/comments.

Kain.....I've previewed both extensively. The InFocus LP755 (LCD) and the InFocus LP350 (DLP). I purchased the DLP. IMHO, the color saturation and rendition was hands down better than the LCD. The LCD, at least this LCD, seemed 'washed out' and faded when compared. The blacks are deeper with the DLP. Very noticeably deeper. On the other hand, looking at the DLP and darting my eyes back and forth very quickly occasionally produces a 'rainbow' effect. Or when I look away and look back quickly, I see - for the briefest of milliseconds - this 'rainbow' effect. Others that have watched the DLP with me do not see this. Focus-wise, they both produce stunning, clear images that are limited only by the quality of video feed used.

I'm no expert on this, but a dealer I spoke with said that the only problem they're having with DLP is that the blacks aren't quite as black as on the LCD. Maybe they've fixed that now.

Also, I was told that DLP's can work in brighter conditions than the LCD. LCD looks best when it's dark in the room, and can be completely washed out with just a little light from a window.

DLP's are generally lower priced.

I'm going to go DLP when the time comes.

Greg

----------------

On 1/1/2003 1:33:09 AM greg928s4 wrote:

I'm no expert on this, but a dealer I spoke with said that the only problem they're having with DLP is that the blacks aren't quite as black as on the LCD. Maybe they've fixed that now.

Also, I was told that DLP's can work in brighter conditions than the LCD. LCD looks best when it's dark in the room, and can be completely washed out with just a little light from a window.

DLP's are generally lower priced.

I'm going to go DLP when the time comes.

Greg

----------------

Sorry, but LCDs are generally brighter than DLPs. Yes, it is true that LCD blacks are not as good as DLP blacks, but LCD colors are better than DLP colors. LCDs also have better sharpness/detail because they generally have a higher resolution than DLPs.

"Sorry, but LCDs are generally brighter than DLPs. Yes, it is true that LCD blacks are not as good as DLP blacks, but LCD colors are better than DLP colors. LCDs also have better sharpness/detail because they generally have a higher resolution than DLPs."

Respectfully, and IM very HO, 'LCD colors are better than DLP' is simply not true. In fact, it is DLP's claim to fame to have brighter, more accurate color rendition than LCD. Certainly all my exposure to both these types bear this out. I believe that WRT resolution, both come in the same flavors of resolution. It would appear that nowadays, resolution is only limited by the input video feed quality rather than the projector capabilities themselves. Both LCD and DLP were initially designed not as home theatre alternatives, but rather for computer projection and thus, have a capability of much greater resolution than a video feed can provide. Brightness too is a function of 'what model you buy' rather than a general guideline. Both DLP and LCD are offered in 'maximum lumen' ratings equal to each other.

----------------

On 1/2/2003 3:11:31 PM edwardre wrote:

"Sorry, but LCDs are generally brighter than DLPs. Yes, it is true that LCD blacks are not as good as DLP blacks, but LCD colors are better than DLP colors. LCDs also have better sharpness/detail because they generally have a higher resolution than DLPs."

Respectfully, and IM very HO, 'LCD colors are better than DLP' is simply not true. In fact, it is DLP's claim to fame to have brighter, more accurate color rendition than LCD. Certainly all my exposure to both these types bear this out. I believe that WRT resolution, both come in the same flavors of resolution. It would appear that nowadays, resolution is only limited by the input video feed quality rather than the projector capabilities themselves. Both LCD and DLP were initially designed not as home theatre alternatives, but rather for computer projection and thus, have a capability of much greater resolution than a video feed can provide. Brightness too is a function of 'what model you buy' rather than a general guideline. Both DLP and LCD are offered in 'maximum lumen' ratings equal to each other.

----------------

Read this.